ASR overflow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASR overflow

Hello - I tried to make an ASR backup but found that the wizzard attempts to copy the whole of partition C:\ which is more than 10 GB. Windows alone is more than 5 GB. Since I use FAT32 because of valuable 98SE remnants, the maximum file content is 4 GB. Is there a way to split the backup in two or more files on the external HD I have, or is it possible to ascertain which are the system files proper and backing up only them? Thanks.

Re: ASR overflow

Hello all viewers - have figured out how to do it: Empty one partition of all data (transfer them to another partition), convert that empty partition only to NTFS [convert G:\ FS:NTFS] where G: is the letter for the empty partition. Make a backup file on the partition; ASR will work then, including creation of a rescue diskette. Cheers - Amos

Comment

Thanks for posting back with the solution to your problem and well done on figuring it yourself.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,
        I noticed in the main Petri knowledge base that ASR should only be done when all else fails, because it can be destructive.
        I found this out the hard way.
        The boot and system drive, C:, 20GB IDE, was backed up to a much larger SATA drive, because I was replacing the C: drive with one larger IDE.
        However, even though the ASR backup, and the floppy creation worked, the restore after F2 on installation became a nightmare.
        For some reason the 40GB IDE at F:, where the swap file is placed, remained viable, but both SATA drives, D: and E: were wiped clean.
        When the ASR process offered to install upon C:, the new drive, it offered no other option (this was disk 0, on bus 0), but when it asked for the ASR backup, none was found. No apparent drives available.
        Have no idea what happened, all I can state is that nothing in the documentation states it will wipe some drives but not others.
        Has anyone else any idea?
        This happened on an Athlon dual core, 3800, MSI motherboard, 3GB PC3200, three IDE, 2 SATA, all NTFS. XP PRo SP2, all updates current.
        Regards,
        Paul

Comment

Hello,
          To add to this, at least the new boot drive still had C: as its name after the ASR nightmare.
          I had to run backup on the old drive again, and then install XP Pro on the new drive, using an updated CD made from an ISO from RyanVM's source.
          After installation and the usual rubbishy normal install popups that one of the Petri pages enables one to remove, I was able to run the backup, since this time the two SATA drives were present.
          After that, it was a simple case of rebooting to move the swap drive and to rename the SATA drives so that the programmes would work.
          Done, but a lot of information was lost, although that is slowly being replaced.

To sum up, use ntbackup if one can, and thankfully it worked for me this time. The computer, after the usual activation request, is now working as it should. What a relief! Now to obtain two more SATA drives and I'll be where I want to be with this machine.

Regards,
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X