No announcement yet.

Print Settings ignored by printer or driver ... happen to you?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Settings ignored by printer or driver ... happen to you?

I've noticed over time (at my current job and a previous job) that a network printer / copier will sometimes ignore the settings that you've chosen in the Print Properties. At my current job, the network printer is served by a Win2k Server. The workstations are all WinXP SP2.

For example, tell a Xerox or Ricoh copier (one color, the other Black & White) that you want duplexed copies, stapled and collated. When the print job is sent, you are given basic single-sided copies that are unstapled.

At my previous job we could reboot the copier and computer to correct the issue. That doesn't seem to be the trick in the current scenario, and it happens to multiple users.

I haven't been able to get authorization to upgrade the driver yet, not to mention the fact that my user account is being tweaked (and I have promptly lost the ability to log into the print server).

I can't find any info about this online (or maybe my search terms aren't what other people would use). We recently had a different copier replaced and its driver was upgraded at the time. It doesn't seem to suffer from these quirks. The Ricoh rep asked me to configure the port on the server to operate as LPR, instead of Raw. (With LPR Byte Counting enabled.) Their reasoning was that this was a more "stable" communication method.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? Does it sound like a driver issue? (We use PCL drivers.)

Thanks in advance for any info you can think of. Let me know if I've left out any details that may help.

Re: Print Settings ignored by printer or driver ... happen to you?

Yeah, I'd say this is a driver issue.

We have a few Canon copiers and I've seen similar issues a while back. Seemed to get cleared up with newer drivers. Not a guarantee for yours but it's definitely worth a shot. If that doesn't work then get the manufacturer's (or vendor's) tech support on the line to see what they can do.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond