Printing finished pop-up occurring on other workstations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing finished pop-up occurring on other workstations

I have a bunch of XP Pro workstations, which are printing to a Xerox 6350DP printer, and when one user prints to it, several other users also get the pop-up box in the lower right corner out of the system tray that filename.blah has finished printing.

This isn't too good for serveral reasons, 1. It distracts/annoys people 2. It tells other people what someone has just printed.

It tells muliple computers what one other computer has printed, but it doesn't tell all computers on that subnet, just some. They are all using a shared printer that is being shared by a Windows 2003 server.

Any ideas what is causing this strange behaviour? Is it a printer driver doing this and if so why it is telling muliple computers that one computer's file has finished printing?

Re: Printing finished pop-up occurring on other workstations

To disable the network print notification balloon windows in Windows XP SP2:

Use a registry editing tool to navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings

Change the value with the following details:
    Data Type: DWORD
    Value Name: EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote
    Value: 0

Stop and restart the spooler service for the change to take effect
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

thanks, that's a good idea. Instead of changing the registry on every machine, I found an inconspicuous option to disable notification on the print server and therefore it's not delivering these pop-ups to any workstations which has resolved the issue.

Comment

For those of you who wonder where that option is located... Server properties from the printers folder.

Then here...
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by humbletech99 View Post
          thanks, that's a good idea. Instead of changing the registry on every machine, I found an inconspicuous option to disable notification on the print server and therefore it's not delivering these pop-ups to any workstations which has resolved the issue.

if you want a custom template or VBS then, give this a look...
          http://www.gpanswers.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=944
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I'm glad you solved the problem, but still' I'm curious why this happened from the first place....
            Are the users that get the printer's notice using the same username to log in? Are they all part of the same group?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

no they have separate logins, they are using the same printer as default and they are on the same subnet.

They may however be ghosted without replacing the sid of the machine (not very smart but then it wasn't me who did it). Not sure if that is why.

Comment

Working...
              X