Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help getting older DOS program to run in XP...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help getting older DOS program to run in XP...

My accounting department has this archaic software they need transfered from the current W2K Pro machine to a new Win XP Pro machine. There are no know install disks nor support from the long gone developers of the software.

How do i manually install something like this? There is just a folder on the C drive that contains the program. On the desktop there is a shortcut to the EXE file. When you click on the EXE in W2K Pro it launches a command-looking window with the program in it- groovy...works great!

I have it setup in XP just like the W2K Pro machine and have even tried the compatibility wizard. When I click on the EXE it flashes up a quick command window and dissapears. I know I am not doing this right.

Any help?

Greg

Re: Need help getting older DOS program to run in XP...

Try to run the command cmd.exe /k /[path to old app] form the Start -> Run. See if you succeed. Keep the path short, in the 8.3 limitations.
    You might need, eventually, to create a new shortcut that will run this command and on it to set compatibility settings. It might not work at all, depending on what this dinosaur is doing. For instance, if it needs direct access to hardware (like accessing the LPT port), it's doomed in XP.
    But first things first. Let's see what's going on, and we'll continue from there.

Related links:
    - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
    - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hmmmm.... i tried running this command several times and it tells me:" The filename, directory name,or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Here is the exact command I am running from "run". Also the location is for sure correct.

cmd.exe /k /C:\cwork\obj\IHPRFI.exe

Comment

Hi,

You say the command box *pops up*. Are you logged in as an administrator? Are there any error's in event viewer?

Comment

If it is a DOS program, Copy & Paste the folder structure from the Win2K machine onto the XP machine.

Just looked at your syntax, what is the forward slash doing before the C:\cwork\obj\IHPRFI.exe ?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Just looked at your syntax, what is the forward slash doing before the C:\cwork\obj\IHPRFI.exe ?
            Bugger !! That's my typo !! Apologies, Greg. It should be cmd.exe /k C:\cwork\obj\IHPRFI.exe . The /c switch is like /k, but it closes the window after it finishes. You might want to use this one in the end, so you won't need to close the window afterward, but for debugging purposes (especially to be able to read any messages you get in the CMD window) it is better to start with this one.
            Again, my apologies for the mix-up.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Bugger !! That's my typo !! Apologies, Greg. It should be cmd.exe /k C:\cwork\obj\IHPRFI.exe . The /c switch is like /k, but it closes the window after it finishes. You might want to use this one in the end, so you won't need to close the window afterward, but for debugging purposes (especially to be able to read any messages you get in the CMD window) it is better to start with this one.
              Again, my apologies for the mix-up.
              No biggie- I tried it again and I get the message in the commad shell: "TERM not set"

Comment

The old setup of the software had any special environment variables set?
                Like TERM, for instance?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Have a look for any TERM setting in the \winnt\system32\autoexec.nt file on the Windows 2000 machine.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X