Connecting Networks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Networks

I want to connect a Linux Box through my desktop Windows XP machine (two network adapters) to my wireless router and to the internet.

I have a Linksys wireless router providing internet access to my Desktop Windows XP machine. My Desktop machine connects to the wireless router via a USB wireless adapter. Also in my desktop machine is an Ethernet LAN Card.

My Linux Box is connected to a Hub which the Ethernet adapter of my Desktop is also plugged into.

How can I route traffic through my Windows XP desktop machine's USB Wireless adapter out to the Wireless router and to the internet, without affecting my access from the Windows XP desktop machine itself? Is this possible?

Currently I have the Linux Box configured for the 192.168.1.0 network (the machine IP is 192.168.1.201). I currently have the default gateway set to 192.168.1.1 (the Ethernet adapter of my Windows XP Desktop machine). I can communicate with the Linux Box from thw WinXP desktop machine, and I can communicate from the Linux Box directly to the WinXP machine (I can telnet to port 80 on the WinXP machine from the Linux Box). But I have not been able to get any further than that. The network for my wireless interface is 192.168.0.0 (my wireless adapter is 192.168.0.200). The IP address of my wireless router is 192.168.0.1, this obviously is the default gateway IP as well. I also just tryed turning on IP fowarding via the Registry, but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

I have also experiemented with Brides in Win XP, but I wasn't able to ever get it working.

ANy ideas? It seems like I'm close, but I'm just missing something.

Jz.

You should be able to do this with internet connection sharing. I don't want to get into a lot of detail but once you've enabled ICS packets from the wired NIC will be routed to the USB NIC and vis versa.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Internet Connection Sharing through Windows XP automatically takes the NIC and gives it 192.168.1.1

My Router is 192.168.1.1. So this will force me to make some netwrok wide changes. This might work, and I may go this route, but shouldn't I be able to do this with Network bridgeing in Wodows XP?

I ask this, because it seems I should, but I can't quite get it to work.

Jz.

Comment

You can use any IP scheme you want, you just need to alter things appropriately to make it work. Like you said, you should be able to bridge it though.

Originally posted by zuckerj
        Internet Connection Sharing through Windows XP automatically takes the NIC and gives it 192.168.1.1

My Router is 192.168.1.1. So this will force me to make some netwrok wide changes. This might work, and I may go this route, but shouldn't I be able to do this with Network bridgeing in Wodows XP?

I ask this, because it seems I should, but I can't quite get it to work.

Jz.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X