Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot View Wireless Network Connections

Hi Guys !

My query regards my inability to view Wireless Connections....I have a HP laptop that came with XP SP1a, it like most laptops has a Wi-Fi card.

I had the NetGear router all connected and for the 6 months had no problem seeing that connection or indeed any 'local' network connections.

I decided to upgrade to Service Pack 2 for security reasons, and since that time have been unable to view any wireless connections......I've asked round many forums and no one has come up with the answer, though apparently its not uncommon when you install SP2.

I've clean reinstalled XP but only back to SP1a and I can now view Wireless Network Connections again.......I would like the latest security patches from Microsoft but also to view my connections.

The problem must be related to SP2 but which patch/s is causing the trouble .

Any ideas ?

TIA

______
    Optima

Re: Cannot View Wireless Network Connections

I have windows xp SP2 running with wireless.
    So what errors did you have when you want to browse?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

1. Preliminary Steps:2. Install Service Pack 2.

3. Set XP to configure the network settings of the adapter:
      a. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
      b. Click Network Connections.
      c. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
      d. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" check box.
      e. Make sure you network adapter does not assume this role of being responsible for the wireless network adapter settings. If so, you can only view available wireless networks through the client software that came with the network adapter driver. It should be possible to disable this, however, and follow the steps above.

4. To start the Wireless Zero Configuration service, follow these steps:
      a. Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s, and then click OK.
      b. Double-click Wireless Zero Configuration.
      c. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
      d. In the Service status area, click Start, and then click OK.
      e. Your wireless adapter client software may be set to disable the XP SP2 Wireless Zero Configuration Service. You should be able to disable this feature, however. If the Wireless Zero service is stopped, you will not be able to view available Wireless Networks through the XP interface but only through your network adapter client software.

5. Now install the Wireless Client Update you downloaded at the beginning. Reboot.

6. If the steps above do not resolve the issue, please advise the Forum before uninstalling Service Pack 2 again. Usually this implies that one or two utility uses of Netsh.exe need to be run, a trivial task. Specify the make and model of your wireless adapter, and the version of the driver software being used.
      Last edited by bcastner; 20th June 2007, 06:28.
      * Users Helping Users *
      MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

Thanks for the info bcastner....let you know how I get on.

Cheers !

______
        Optima

Comment

Working...
        X