Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Mistake! Deleted UserInit.exe! Please HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Mistake! Deleted UserInit.exe! Please HELP!

hi Experts!

I need some help here.

My PC has Win XP Pro.One of my visiting friends was using it and my PC was dead slow with a lot of spyware.

So after he left, I started cleaning with Ad Aware,Yahoo Spyware cleaner and direct registry clean up.Some of the spyware kept on coming back and I got very frustrated.At that moment I saw Userinit.exe running everytime I login (James Bond!) and I shift+deleted all references to it.

Now if I login I get logged out immediately.I login and after a few seconds I see the "logging off.." box and get logged out.

What would be the easiest and quickest fix?

Addtional info:
    1. I Do have a floppy Drive.
    2. The machine is a dual-boot with RH Linux (8 or 9) - Windows Boot Loader.

Thanks.

Sri

So you deleted the actual file or references to it in the registry?

If you deleted the file replace it in Linux, or the recovery console. If you removed it from the registry try loading the last known good configuration.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I searched for the file. There were three results and I deleted all of them.

Comment

Place the file in the following locations:

%systemroot%\system32
        %systemroot%\prefetch

Where %systemroot% = x:\windows

Download

Once you replace the file you should again work normally.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks but need more help

Hi

Thanks a lot but I need more help

How to get to a console, where I could replace the file.

When I set my setup to boot from the CD ROM and insert a Win XP CD,it does not happen.How to go about it?
          Alternately, how to do it from Linux?

Comment

Boot to the WinXP disc, and choose the first option to repair Windows when it prompts.
            Andrew

Comment

Re: Stupid Mistake! Deleted UserInit.exe! Please HELP!

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
              Place the file in the following locations:

%systemroot%\system32
              %systemroot%\prefetch

Where %systemroot% = x:\windows

Download

Once you replace the file you should again work normally.

Can You upload this file again? please, i know this is old thread, but i need it very much

Comment

Say Thank You http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...userinit%2ezip

Next time start a new Topic for your question/problem/request. If necessary you could link back to any previous post. Thank you.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I removed the userinit file from the registry thinking it was linked with some spyware/virus files that I was trying to remove, but as soon as i rebooted I soon discovered that I may have done something STUPID, I started to panic over it because I did not back up the data. I tried Safe Mode, I tried different accounts and nothing..same repeating logon cycle. I tried "last known config" no luck.. Thinking and thinking and I remembered I had an ERD Commander disk...THANK GOOOD, this saved me. I started the disk, logged in, and opened regedit. Went to the location and recreated the String value, but then I was unsure what to the VALUE DATA was, so I just put in the box "explorer.exe" and upon reboot it worked. It soon dawned on me that I could look at the path on another computer.. "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," needless to say I still think I have this spyware/virus crap.
                  Last edited by dpmn10; 26th March 2008, 02:37.

Comment

Working...
                  X