How to get to be a guru/expert on XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get to be a guru/expert on XP

How does one get to be a guru or expert in XP?
    I want to take my application troubleshooting, XP administration skills to the max.
    These are some of the things I have done, I would like to know what other people recommend learning.

Windows registry book - great resource for troubleshooting and understanding XP a little better

Windows 2000 scripting guide - i wish i had read this sooner, so useful for admin work.

MCSA in windows 2003 - lots of knowledge here mostly to do with domain administration, but also taught me crucial things about XP

Windows Internals book - i though this might be the key to really getting to know XP, but found it a little too over my head. Very kernel, low level O/S focused. But it did introduce me to sysinternals tools like process monitor, process explorer which I now use all the time.

Security now podcasts - (grc.com) although not XP specific, listening to these at work has greatly increased my knowledge of internet, crypto, networking topics.

RSS feeds - i subscribe and read a lot of articles from sites like petri, the lazy admin, adminfoo, windowsnetworking.com, windowssecurity.com

Re: How to get to be a guru/expert on XP

Keep doing what you are doing, and over time you will become a guru / expert. Of course, by that point, there is likely to be a new OS out!

I've been working with PCs since pre-Win95 and by no means consider myself a guru
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There is no such thing as a guru in any OS.

If you keep using the books and learning the OS as Tom has said you'll be fine.

This is of course until MS bring out a new one.

Comment

ok, unattainable guru status point aside.
        What other resources have you guys found helpfull?

Comment

The Internet, Train Signal and books, all sorts of books (not the ones the m80arm reads).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            all sorts of books (not the ones the m80arm reads).
            Razzle, Over 40's and Swinger's Weekly are extremely good technical articles I'll have you know. I've learnt a lot from them

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

read, practice, read, practice and *mess about* with Virtual PC or VMWare

Comment

Oops, we missed one. Build, break, fix, rebuild, break again and refix, etc etc etc
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Best way to become a computer guru (no value, honestly, in specializing in a single OS or discipline) is to learn and live programming. Programming in many environments and languages. Teaches problem solving and debugging more so than anything else. You will be able to envision how it works under the hood which is far more important than knowing what a certain parameter does or how to use a particular wizard.

In the M$ world, learn more about that scripting you mentioned. Find some real world problems and work towards scripting a solution. See what some of our members have put forth in the scripting forum. Much to learn.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                    Best way to become a computer guru (no value, honestly, in specializing in a single OS or discipline) is to learn and live programming. Programming in many environments and languages. Teaches problem solving and debugging more so than anything else. You will be able to envision how it works under the hood which is far more important than knowing what a certain parameter does or how to use a particular wizard.

In the M$ world, learn more about that scripting you mentioned. Find some real world problems and work towards scripting a solution. See what some of our members have put forth in the scripting forum. Much to learn.
                    ...and yet I know SO MANY multi-lingual, multi-environment programmers who couldn't support or diagnose a blown fuse in a power lead. Honestly, if you needed a complex algorithm coding for your next big thing, these are your guys... but if you can't figure out why your computer is crashing four times a day, forget it.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Ya that is the way i'm thinking too, I have been reading Mark Russinovics' blog lately and noticing that value of debugging/stack analyzing in fixing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                        ...and yet I know SO MANY multi-lingual, multi-environment programmers who couldn't support or diagnose a blown fuse in a power lead. Honestly, if you needed a complex algorithm coding for your next big thing, these are your guys... but if you can't figure out why your computer is crashing four times a day, forget it.
                        Sounds like you hang around with a more cerebral bunch than I. When I worked in research many years ago, we had a group of PhD reservoir engineers and the like that sound much like your gang.

Developing good problem solving and debugging skills is the key. Has anyone ever seen any formal training on this? Seems to be a side effect one picks up along the way (and many never do).
                        Cheers,

Rick

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen any formal training on this?
                          You can find anything on
                          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...bugging+course

Now I don't know the first thing about programming but wouldn't strong logic skills make someone better at debugging?
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                            You can find anything on
                            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...bugging+course

Now I don't know the first thing about programming but wouldn't strong logic skills make someone better at debugging?
                            Possibly but possibly not. Often times this requires a healthy application of intuition so logic alone doesn't cut it. The problem (and solution) is often illogical until we gain more understanding after the fact.

I'm talking about platform agnostic debugging and problem solving skills, not the technician oriented stuff. What I see in Google looks like the later.

For example:

How to diagnose your XYZ brand / type of air conditioner vs. understanding how a Carnot heat engine works and having built a few / operated / repaired them over time gives one a feel that supersedes the XYZ training. One may need to learn XYZ's specific implementation but that's far easier to pick up than the fundamental understanding of how air conditioners / heat pumps work.

Many disciplines require strong levels of debugging and problem solving yet I have not seen it approached as a specific skill vs. someone one learning it as a side effect of the curriculum. Maybe medicine gives formal training in this? Most CS and Engineering programs I've reviewed do not specifically address this but I'm old so maybe times have changed.
                            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Surely itís better to focus on mastering problem solving and a honing a logical approach as opposed to a strategy of knowing all about an OS in order to fix anything that can go wrong with it? Mastering an approach is a universal skill that you can deploy to any situation. Learning an OS inside out may leave you one-dimensional.

Knowing 5 x 5 = 25 is good (by memorizing), but knowing how to multiply will serve you better for when you might be asked 6 x 4. Excuse the crude analogy.

Comment

Working...
                              X