Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD on XP when changing MB

Hi All,

I upgraded my computer to gigabyte MB (kv800vm) from an from Intel one (P3).
    When I boot up the comp I get the BSOD whit this error:
    stop 0x0000007b (0x0f79d1528....)
    I followed this article but it didn't worked...

strange thing, I searched for the Intelide.sys in the Driver.cab and didn't find it. also no fond in the fresh XP install...
    Also, if I try to reinstall windows dose not recognize the old installation and start a fresh new install.
    PS: This XP is a WIN2k upgrade, so the files are located in \winnt
    also, the fresh install work fine.

How can I resolve this issue?
    Gili

Re: BSOD on XP when changing MB

Gili,

Whenever you change major hardware (motherboard, CPU) it is wise to back-up your data and be prepared to re-install Windows.

When Windows is installed it builds the HAL around the hardware in the machine. You have effectively changed this and restarted? - If so, it won't work.

I would plug the drive in another machine as slave, retrieve your data and re-install Windows.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
      Gili,

Whenever you change major hardware (motherboard, CPU) it is wise to back-up your data and be prepared to re-install Windows.

When Windows is installed it builds the HAL around the hardware in the machine. You have effectively changed this and restarted? - If so, it won't work.

I would plug the drive in another machine as slave, retrieve your data and re-install Windows.

Hope this helps.
      The data in beckedup, there is no dough about it...
      I'm don't like the idea of intalling all the programs again...

Gili

Comment

Originally posted by redbaron View Post
        The data in beckedup, there is no dough about it...
        I'm don't like the idea of intalling all the programs again...

Gili
        Unfortunately for you it looks like you will have to i'm afraid.

I have never been able to successfully fix that error message. Now some may have but i haven't.

If you have another HDD install windows on that then you will be able to get access to your files.

Comment

It's the HAL that's nuking you.

Do a repair install, PLEASE. Has worked for me every time. All my SW (and config) was(were) preserved. I've done this 10 +/- times over the years w/ W2K, WXP, W2K3 (maybe even WNT?) so I'm pretty confident. Your mileage may vary.

Issue w/ WXP activation will probably occur and I'm not sure how your upgrade CD will fly.

Here's the best repair install link I have:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Read it completely and backup, backup, backup -- for others that come after you.
          Last edited by rvalstar; 28th May 2007, 16:36. Reason: Done this a bunch -- thought I'd mention that
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X