Annoying Printer Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Printer Problem

I simply want to install my printer to my PC, it's a HP Deskjet 3550 printer. Connected directly by USB 2.0 cable. When connected it is detected, begins to install / look for drivers and I am faced with:

If i click 'OK' it does nothing, just beeps annoyingly at me, same if I click browse to try and point to the driver files

Cannot install via HP CD, or manually, looking at the dialog the text is all screwy, corrupt driver somehow? Just want to install the printer, simple you'd think? lol

Any advice would be appriciated

Re: Annoying Printer Problem

Hi.
    You didn't say anything about your PC. Is it XP?
    If I remember right, these printers usually ask you to install the software first and to connect the USB cable only when requested, somewhere during the installation. Isn't the same for your printer? Have you read the instructions leaflet, that came with the printer?
    Anyway, maybe the CD is bad. Try to download the drivers from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...305947&lang=en. I hope your OS is XP.

Keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Hi.
      You didn't say anything about your PC. Is it XP?
      Yes, it's XP.

If I remember right, these printers usually ask you to install the software first and to connect the USB cable only when requested, somewhere during the installation. Isn't the same for your printer?
      Yup, and that's what I am doing.

Have you read the instructions leaflet, that came with the printer?
      Anyway, maybe the CD is bad. Try to download the drivers from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...305947&lang=en. I hope your OS is XP.
      Yes, and I have already tried downloading the software from HP.

Comment

And it is the same with the drivers from HP's site too?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          And it is the same with the drivers from HP's site too?
          Yes, it's the same no matter what software / driver combination is used, no matter how it is installed, XP detects the printer and I'm presented with the above box which I can't do anything with....Bearing in mind I have JUST rebuilt the PC with a brand new copy of XP SP2 so unlikely that something can be wrong with the OS

Comment

Originally posted by UKG View Post
            Bearing in mind I have JUST rebuilt the PC with a brand new copy of XP SP2 so unlikely that something can be wrong with the OS
            Have you installed the motherboard drivers? Do you have other USB devices functioning normally? Printers are not listed in Device Manager, but the USB root hub will be - is there any problems showing?

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
              Have you installed the motherboard drivers? Do you have other USB devices functioning normally? Printers are not listed in Device Manager, but the USB root hub will be - is there any problems showing?
              Yes, and other USB devices working fine, I have checked all USB root hubs are working properly, also USB printing support is working fine too.

Comment

Anyone have any further idea's?

Comment

Anyone have any further idea's?
                  Believe me, there are plenty of ideas

I found this article from HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...tem=dj-13176-3 .
                  Take a look and see if it is of any help.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Did you extract the files somewhere??

Can you point the installer to the drivers folder??

Comment

Thanks for the further suggestions, but if you read what I have told you I cant actually do anything with the installer So no more doanloading or pointing to extracted files helps...

Comment

Thanks for the further suggestions, but if you read what I have told you I cant actually do anything with the installer So no more doanloading or pointing to extracted files helps...
                        Actually it doesn't mention anywhere that you have tried to point to the extracted files.

Right i downloaded the files from the HP website on the web address given.

Double clicked on the exe file and it started extracting the files to a location in the same folder as the exe. This is the folder name i got 0900a5a28032f862.

So the files actually do get extracted somewhere it is just a matter of finding them.

Download the installer, double click on the exe.
                        Allow the installer to extract until it gets to the first screen.
                        Open up search and search for hpsfx.ini.
                        In that folder you will find the drivers for the printer.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                          Actually it doesn't mention anywhere that you have tried to point to the extracted files.

Right i downloaded the files from the HP website on the web address given.

Double clicked on the exe file and it started extracting the files to a location in the same folder as the exe. This is the folder name i got 0900a5a28032f862.

So the files actually do get extracted somewhere it is just a matter of finding them.

Download the installer, double click on the exe.
                          Allow the installer to extract until it gets to the first screen.
                          Open up search and search for hpsfx.ini.
                          In that folder you will find the drivers for the printer.
                          Yes, I've done this, but the problem is that the installer runs fine, it's at the point when I connect the printer by plugging in the USB cable (which you shouldn't do until it tells you to) as soon as I do, the usual icon in the taskbar pop's up, found new hardware etc, then bang, that screen shot error pops up and I can't do nothing from that point.

Comment

BRW, have you tried the local HP representative? Did they say anything about it?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Yes, I've done this, but the problem is that the installer runs fine, it's at the point when I connect the printer by plugging in the USB cable (which you shouldn't do until it tells you to) as soon as I do, the usual icon in the taskbar pop's up, found new hardware etc, then bang, that screen shot error pops up and I can't do nothing from that point.

Yep and it then asks you for the location of the driver which you then click on browse and then point it to the location of the extracted files from the exe.

Unfortunately i don't have that model printer so i can't actually install it and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X