Desktop Wallpaper to Fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Wallpaper to Fit

This isn't a big deal, but it's bothering me a little. I took a couple of great pictures and am trying to set them as the desktop wallpaper on XP SP2. Unfortunately, it keeps resizing it to fit the desktop (1280X1024) while stretching/centering it out of proportion. What I would like to do is have the desktop set to the same view as it shows with the XP picture/fax preview program and the "My pictures" screensaver.

Is there a way to do this without a third party app? If this can't be done by Windows alone, I guess I'll just have to use an image editing program to resize. I know this edit would be easy, but I just haven't gotten myself around to use any image editor.

Thanks...

Re: Desktop Wallpaper to Fit

Right click the desktop, choose properties. Navigate to the Desktop tab. Choose Center as shown in the screenshot.
    Attached Files
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

You will have to resize (might as well compress too) because the aspect ratio on most digital cameras differ from the standard computer screens.
      I would recommend Irfanview (my personal favortive) even though there are many many that can do same.
      If you have many pictures to process you can set Irfanview to run in batch mode. You will have to determine the aspect ratio of your camera and you will most likely end up with a buffer border, after you resize.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks, Lior_S. IrfanView did the trick. Now, I can center it without it being out of proportion! Awesome!

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          You will have to resize (might as well compress too) because the aspect ratio on most digital cameras differ from the standard computer screens.
          I would recommend Irfanview (my personal favortive) even though there are many many that can do same.
          If you have many pictures to process you can set Irfanview to run in batch mode. You will have to determine the aspect ratio of your camera and you will most likely end up with a buffer border, after you resize.
          This is very odd... is that an American thing? Only all the cameras I've had have been 640x480, 1024x768, 1280x1024... i.e. exactly the same sizes as the standard Windows screens... or are you talking about Widescreen monitors?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            This is very odd... is that an American thing? Only all the cameras I've had have been 640x480, 1024x768, 1280x1024... i.e. exactly the same sizes as the standard Windows screens... or are you talking about Widescreen monitors?
            Most cameras are 4:3 (SLR 3:2)
            computer monitors: 4:3, 5:4, (widescreen 16:9, 16:10)

S0...
            640x480 would be 4:3 / 1.33
            1024x768 would be 4:3 /1.33
            1280x1024 is however 5:4 / 1.25

as you can see you have to match your pictures aspect ratio to your monitor since they did not match and the OP wanted the scaling to match you have to convert outside of the windows 'stretch' option. Thus you will end up with a buffer border if you do not want to crop...
            Hope that makes sense.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

this is good
              Gurdeep Singh
              www dot viennasolutions dot com

Comment

Working...
              X