Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deactivate one update

Hello,

Can you please tell me if is there is a way to deny the instalation of one update but still keep to allow the instalation of other updates?
    I would like to deny the instalation of "Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)" (this is an "update" which I don't find useful ) but not the rest of updates. I know that my software is legal and M$ should trust me.
    The Automatic update is set to download the updates but to let me to install. I install all the other updates but not WGA, but now if someone click the default shutdown button this update will be installed too.

Thank you!

Re: deactivate one update

This update is required. Microsoft should have been given a REASON to trust people; unfortunately theirs is the most stolen software on the planet. Deal with it.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thumbs up, Tom!
      I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that trust should not be automatically expected, but proved.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Why don't you just install the WGA update and be done with it? Why resist it if your software is legal?
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Sorry but I am in slight agreement with axa2001ro. I have no objection to installing it ONCE, but everytime I run updates, up pops the bloody thing again. Also need to install new ActiveX for EVERY bloody Office update as well. When will it effing stop!!

And now Vista is supposed to "dial home" to the Evil Empire on a regular basis to confirm that you haven't swapped out your legal copy.

I have installed LEGAL copies of XP only to have WGA tell me I was running pirate ones. It got sorted but it took time and it wasn't Microsoft paying the bill.

If MS don't get their act together over this and stop treating EVERYONE as a software criminal, Linux is going to kill them.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Linux is going to kill them.
            Perhaps, but not in our lifetime.
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

stop treating EVERYONE as a software criminal
              Given the number of sites on the Net with serials, crackers, key generators and similar stuff, both Microsoft and other software vendors have all the reasons to be worried. They have all the rights to try to defend their assets and copyrights.
              Like we all would do with ours.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

You have a TV in your house? Prove to me you own it or else I will consider you a thief until you do. Oh yes, prove to me each month you still own the TV or again I will consider you a thief until such proof is provided.

And if you move house, I'm sorry, but you cannot take your OEM TV with you as that would be stealing.

Nobody is denying the right of a company to protect their product (after all you only purchase a license to use and if something on it doesn't work......go see the vendor) but I object to the constant checking some overt and other covert (re Sony rootkits) and the inconvenience caused when a bug in thier surveillance software causes the O/S to go tits up. It can affect millions, just look at the latest effort from Symantec.

Remember a few years ago when a unique string was found in Word documents that could allow MS to track a document back to the creator (no not that creator, the document creator). Of no use to anyone except the evil empire. Why was it there? Spying purposes??? Opps said MS, coding error. If you believe that, then I have a large red bridge in San Francisco for sale.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nobody is denying the right of a company to protect their product (after all you only purchase a license to use and if something on it doesn't work......go see the vendor) but I object to the constant checking some overt and other covert (re Sony rootkits) and the inconvenience caused when a bug in thier surveillance software causes the O/S to go tits up. It can affect millions, just look at the latest effort from Symantec.
                  The Sony Root Kit issue was blatent, and obviously wrong. That's why they were sued. Sony made a big mistake, they realized it and they paid for it. I'm not sure if you can lump any company together with Sony based on what they did. That's like blaming me for the holocost because Adolph Hitler was a human being, and well so am I. Mark Russinovich is the one who discovered the Sony Root Kit and ratted them out. Since he is now a Microsoft employee, do you think he's going to allow MS to follow the same practice as long as he has anything to say about it? He'll call MS on the carpet as fast as he did with Sony. He is one of few employees at MS with fellow status; I'm sure MS pays him very handsomly to maintain and express his opinions.

If you believe that, then I have a large red bridge in San Francisco for sale.
                  Prove to me you own it and I'll buy it.

Comment

No doubt the issue is controversial... Like the thin line between security needs and protecting the privacy.
                    I have a TV, indeed. And if someone will tell the police I stole it, they will come and ask me for proof. No proof? No TV!
                    I have a cable box too. And it works only when the ID card is inserted. Why? Because the cable company wants to be sure that whoever wants to see its broadcasts, holds a legit box.
                    These examples are all around us. They are part of our daily life. It's true that whenever a company abuses this need of protecting it's property (like Sony did) or whenever a company make us a lot of trouble because their incompetence (like Symantec did), it makes us furious. And we are entitled to that, as customers.
                    But we all still have to walk, like an acrobat at the circus, on that thin line...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X