Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsing Windows XP peer computers

Hi Guys,

I really haven't checked much into it, but maybe some1 can save my time.
    I have a few Windows XP Machines, not on Domain, same network segment but remote computers on IP VPN, when i want to access a share on computer 1, it won't work, unless you shutdown windows xp firewall, on the exeptions i have checked everything, but it still does not work unless you shutdown the firewall, any idea guys?

Thanks,
    Retaliator.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Browsing Windows XP peer computers

So if you stop the VPN bit, does it work?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

VPN Bit?
      When i stop the firewall it works.
      Retaliator.
      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

I got that first time around. However, you mentioned a VPN. Keep the FW running, stop the VPN -- does it work? Just trying to isolate your problem. And since you mentioned all the exception possibilites were checked -- there is one and it is checked for File and Printer Sharing, correct?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I meant IP/VPN as a network physical method connecting the computers, like SWITCH or so, but this is IP/VPN, i can't shut it down, they won't see each other.
          i tried all the things with XP sharing..
          only shutting down the FW worked.
          Retaliator
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

And since you mentioned all the exception possibilites were checked -- there is one and it is checked for File and Printer Sharing, correct?
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Can you please send a screen shot? do you mean the use simple file sharing or what?
              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Can some1 please help?
                Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
                  Can you please send a screen shot? do you mean the use simple file sharing or what?
                  Nope. I meant "Control Panel\Windows Firewall\General\Don't Allow Exceptions (unchecked)" and "Control Panel\Windows Firewall\Exceptions\Programs and Services\File and Printer Sharing (checked)"

But do lose that Simple File Sharing if you have that checked in Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\Advanced Settings
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X