10-user limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-user limit

How can I increase the 10-user limit to network shares in windows xp?

Re: 10-user limit

I don't believe you can. XP is a workstation OS, not a server one. You need a server OS if you are planning on using the machine as a server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Dont think you can.

It's obviously set there for a reason by M$ and trying to increase it using other methods may be in breach of their license agreement. If you need more then I suggest setting up a proper file server (either windows or some free linux distro)

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The work around the 10 user limit is actually quite simple. It is called a Server.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          The work around the 10 user limit is actually quite simple. It is called a Server.
          And so that you can still get by on the cheap, Biggles will come on site and build an eval version of Windows Server for you. Then every 120 days he will come back on site and format and rebuild it for you.

Good plan? No? Yes? Biggles?
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by alitoday View Post
            How can I increase the 10-user limit to network shares in windows xp?

Change it to binary: 1010 user limit
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the negative reputation points! That's better than getting none at all

Cheers!
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X