Customize XP Pro install multiboot, minus network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customize XP Pro install multiboot, minus network

I need some guidance for customized clean install or repair install for XP Pro on one PC WITHOUT a network, only broadband cable internet access with parallel XP Pro systems on two different hard drives.

We have a PC with swappable hard bay drives.

Drive C = 30gb FAT32
    Drive D = 30gb FAT32
    Drive E = 80gb NTFS
    Drive F = 80gb NTFS
    NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (NGRPCI)
    Linksys Broadband Router BDFSR41

Are there any issues, since this is XP Pro without a network? I have researched, but have not been able to find any resources.

I want to run parallel systems---I am trying to keep our current PC(homebuilt) running until we can afford to upgrade/replace starting with a new mobo and CPU, which might be who knows when. I understand that each system requires separate maintenance-does it matter if one accesses the data files from the drive of the other? Why if we’re not running a network does XP keep installing administrative shares for each drive??

I can provide either a MSinfo32 or Everest report if more hardware information is needed.

Thanks
    Elaine

Re: Customize XP Pro install multiboot, minus network

Originally posted by emsdallas View Post
    I need some guidance for customized clean install or repair install for XP Pro on one PC WITHOUT a network, only broadband cable internet access with parallel XP Pro systems on two different hard drives.
    If you're connected to the Internet, you're on a network.

does it matter if one accesses the data files from the drive of the other?
    If we're talking about a dual-boot system, yes, you can access files on all the drives but you might need to play with the permissions a little. You will have to be careful not to mess with the system files of the other installation.

Why if we’re not running a network does XP keep installing administrative shares for each drive??
    The shares are there by default and you ARE on a network. http://www.petri.com/disable_administrative_shares.htm
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks--so should I should Not disable the shares for either system?

Elaine

Comment

Thanks--so should I should Not disable the shares for either system?

Elaine
        It's fine to disable the shares. They're there by default because in most scenarios it's desirable to have them. As there is only a single machine to administrate, there's no need for them.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Don't know how well versed you are on the multiboot process but there are a number of ways to do this, some more successful than others. Point being multibooting the MS way may not be the best way depending on your needs.

I'm a big multiboot guy as I have a lab with a limited number of computers and a large number of supported configurations. I'm also a big removable drive tray guy which lets you multiboot by physically swapping out boot drives.

On the software multiboot, I abandoned MS from the start and went w/ BootMagic as it appeared more mature than some of the GNU / shareware / freeware boot loaders and it provided the key feature I desired -- the ability to hide other partitions. Thus all my MS installs are on C: -- something you won't get if you go the MS route.

Do also consider a VM approach. I am.

Best primer on multibooting I know is:

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/

Check out this bit:

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/principles.htm

Here are some other links to help confuse you:

http://www.nick.rozanski.org.uk/index.php?page=multboot

http://www.trombettworks.com/multi-boot.htm

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub.../msg10695.html
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I had a very bad experience with Partion-Boot Magic, so would rather use MS if possible.

I am trying to get a clue, it's such a long road.

I like running parallel systems of XP Pro-to experiment with one and it's been a lifesaver more than once. I try to keep all data on separate drives. It's been a hassle whenever I start clean---having to activate--explain that, yes, it's the same machine, running parallel XP's.

My biggest problem is learning how all of this comes together. Just when I think I understand a hardware issue, then something else comes into the picture. I am at a point that the knowledge I have accumulated has been dangerous. My salvation has been protecting the data. Thanks for the links--my home IS the state of confusion

Elaine

Comment

Almost forgot---so on a standalone machine--is there any effect to enable/disable the shares??

Thanks
              Elaine

Comment

Almost forgot---so on a standalone machine--is there any effect to enable/disable the shares??

Thanks
                Elaine
                Not an issue. For WXP, put this in a REG file and "merge" it (or edit the registry directly as you desire):

Code:
                Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
                "AutoShareWks"=dword:00000000
                Reboot and the ?$ shares are gone. You'll still have IPC$ and possibly print$. I'd leave them alone.

If a server OS, change "AutoShareWks" to "AutoShareServer".
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I had a very bad experience with Partion-Boot Magic, so would rather use MS if possible.
                  BootMagic has its issues but if you can find someone that knows how to set it up, it's a nice way to go. I'm multibooting WXP, W2K3 and Fedora on 2 machines.

Past issues booting non-MS OS's, the MS way, as I recall, caused me the following problems:

Although system #1 was on C:\WINDOWS and system #2 was on D:\WINDOWS, I recall past those directories, MS wanted to put stuff on C: when booted on system #2. That, in turn, stepped on stuff system #1 had on C:.

Can't recall exactly what is was (pagefile, C:\Program Files, C:\Documents and Settings, ???) but do be careful (Ghost or equiv. C: beforehand).

Quite possibly it was pilot error on my part and there may be ways around these issues. Once I determined I wanted to include a non-MS OS in the rotation, I tried XOSL (GNU) and when that gave issues w/ my RAID config, I broke down and tried BootMagic.

Once I read through that primer link above, I came up w/ an arrangement using Ghost to make sure WXP and W2K3 were installed on C:. My final partition map on a RAID1 250 GB drive is as follows:

Pri-1 40 MB FAT BTMAGIC
                  Pri-2 20 GB NTFS SystemWXP
                  Pri-3 20 GB Linux EXTn Fedora
                  Pri-4 Extended partion
                  Log-1 20 GB NTFS SystemW2K3
                  Log-2 2 GB Linux Swap
                  Log-3 171 GB NTFS Data

Works great even booting W2K3 from a logical drive (requires tweak in the partition map -- see primer)

Since you have a bunch of smaller drives, the logical partitions aren't an issue.

If you'd like to revisit BootMagic and get all your WXP instances to run from C:, do post back w/ your previous issues and I'll see if I can help you overcome them.

Do post back w/ your NTLDR experiences should you go the MS multiboot route.
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X