Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

    I have a user who has just complained about low disk space. I have found that her c:\windows folder is 27 Gig but the contents of the folder only amounts to 2.49 Gig. Hidden files are shown and I have run the disk cleanup util in XP, the util only found 1 gig of data to clean up.

    Any ideas on what may ne taking up the extra space?

    Hope someone out there has seen something like this before

  • #2
    Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

    Originally posted by mjbliss View Post
    I have a user who has just complained about low disk space. I have found that her c:\windows folder is 27 Gig but the contents of the folder only amounts to 2.49 Gig. Hidden files are shown and I have run the disk cleanup util in XP, the util only found 1 gig of data to clean up.

    Any ideas on what may ne taking up the extra space?

    Hope someone out there has seen something like this before
    Has the recycle bin been emptied?


    Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

    Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

      Don't forget C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and the Temporary Internet Files. They can hold the odd file or 2.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

        In the disk cleanup window, go to the "More Options" tab and cleaup the System Restore Files.
        BUT: Be sure to create a system restore point first because it will be the only restore point available!
        I am Nobody. Nobody's Perfect therefore, I'm Perfect!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

          Hi All,

          Thanks for the replys. Even the recycle bin one Stonelaughter. C:\windows\csc was 20gig. This is the folder for offline files and shouldnt be more then 4 gig. Anyway the user has a desktop pc so offline files are a waste of time. Deleted the contents of the csc folder and disabled offline files we are back in business.

          Cheers

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

            Originally posted by mjbliss View Post
            Hi All,

            Thanks for the replys. Even the recycle bin one Stonelaughter. C:\windows\csc was 20gig. This is the folder for offline files and shouldnt be more then 4 gig. Anyway the user has a desktop pc so offline files are a waste of time. Deleted the contents of the csc folder and disabled offline files we are back in business.

            Cheers
            Don't think I was being flippant or sarcastic; sometimes it's all too easy to get complicated and forget the really simple stuff.


            Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

            Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

              Originally posted by mjbliss View Post
              Anyway the user has a desktop pc so offline files are a waste of time.
              I just want to defend Offline Files real quick. Sure, they're great for laptops, but they're also great for desktops too.

              Benefits:
              -Speed up file access (computers access the local copy and sync in the background)
              -Reduce network congestion impact (if the network is busy users won't notice as much)
              -Adds some degree of fault-tolerance (if the server goes down you can continue to use your files)

              There's a few others but those are the main ones.

              Regards,
              Jeremy

              Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

                Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                I just want to defend Offline Files real quick. Sure, they're great for laptops, but they're also great for desktops too.

                Benefits:
                -Speed up file access (computers access the local copy and sync in the background)
                -Reduce network congestion impact (if the network is busy users won't notice as much)
                -Adds some degree of fault-tolerance (if the server goes down you can continue to use your files)

                There's a few others but those are the main ones.

                Jeremy - Are you sure?

                I always thought offlien files kicked in when the workstation was off the network. I didn't think there was a way to configure the client to use the local cache rather than the actual file share when it's online.

                http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

                Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk
                MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Missing 20 odd GIG in XP Pro

                  Originally posted by m80arm View Post
                  Jeremy - Are you sure?
                  Well, you have me second guessing myself so I'm not sure anymore.

                  I'll see if I can find some supporting documentation.

                  EDIT - OK, I might have gotten confused on the settings but I'm almost sure that I read in a book that it applies to all offline files. According to M$
                  All files and programs that users open from the share will be automatically available offline.
                  This option allows all the files that users open from the shared folder to be automatically available offline. If you select the Optimized for performance check box, all programs will be automatically cached so that they can be run locally. This option is especially useful for file servers that host applications, because it reduces network traffic and improves server scalability.
                  http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

                  I'll see if I can find that book... if I have time.
                  Last edited by JeremyW; 24th May 2007, 04:09.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

                  Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X