Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows XP can't access browse by computer name

Hello,

I have local network with 20 computers running on domain environment. Some computers got the error message when try to browse share resource from another computer in the same network:

COMPUTER05 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Logon failure: The target account name is incorrect

I am sure that everything is normal configuration on workstation's clients. This problem just occurs on some workstation, not all.

My temporary solution is adding protocol NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol on initial session workstation (need browse resource) and target workstation. But, this takes more time to me to solve this problem.

All workstation is receive IP address from DHCP server.

Can you please help me to investigate this trouble? and give me another solution to fix it.

Thank you very much.
    Regards,

Re: windows XP can't access browse by computer name

What credentials are they using to log into the other computers shares?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsen View Post
      What credentials are they using to log into the other computers shares?
      Usually by their own account because the share resource on target computer has been assigned. Anyway, the normal share has contain the permission access (read) for group "everyone"or "domain user"

Comment

In the Folder's properties, did you set the maximum number of users that can access the shared files and folders?
        Still in the Folder Properties, select the security tab and check whether proper permissions are assigned to the right individuals!!!
        I am Nobody. Nobody's Perfect therefore, I'm Perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by skie View Post
          In the Folder's properties, did you set the maximum number of users that can access the shared files and folders?
          Still in the Folder Properties, select the security tab and check whether proper permissions are assigned to the right individuals!!!
          For the allowed number of connections, i am sure that the problem doesn't relate to it.
          Permission has been assigned properly because when protocol NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol is enabled on both computers (initial computer and target computer), it works well.

My problem occurs when only TCP/IP protocol used as main protocol instead of adding NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.

Comment

Is netBT enabled?
            Is you DNS settings correct?
            Do you use a WINS server?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is netBT enabled?
              - You mean the NetBios name? If yes, it is enable by default

Is you DNS settings correct?
              - I am sure that it is correct, all workstations in my network has right query/lookup to internet DNS and external DNS server.

Do you use a WINS server?
              - Yes, i have WINS server in local network.

Comment

Originally posted by b:z View Post
                Is netBT enabled?
                - You mean the NetBios name? If yes, it is enable by default
                I mean NetBIOS Over TCP/IP
                http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...fund_ch11.mspx
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  Yes, it is enabled.

Comment

I'm puzzled you needed "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" to solve the problem. I would have loaded good ol' NETBEUI but neither should be required for this.

Any "strange" routing -- cascaded routers, WiFi, different subnets, VPN, etc.?

So you can ping the machines by IP? By name? Does NET VIEW work? Looking for where it breaks down.

Does disabling the Windows FW make a diff?

If you shut down WINS does the problem go away?

You've unchecked "Simple File Sharing" (I believe that's unchecked in a Domain environment)?

Just throwing out odd thoughts on your odd problem
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Any "strange" routing -- cascaded routers, WiFi, different subnets, VPN, etc.?
                      No, only one type of network.

So you can ping the machines by IP? By name? Does NET VIEW work? Looking for where it breaks down.
                      Yes, i can ping target workstation by IP, by name. Net View works ok --> more strange.

Does disabling the Windows FW make a diff?
                      The firewall is disabled by default after users logged into domain (domain policy)

If you shut down WINS does the problem go away?
                      I am not sure it solve the problem by turn off WINS on both workstations.

You've unchecked "Simple File Sharing" (I believe that's unchecked in a Domain environment)?
                      No, the "Simple File Sharing" is still been checked.

Comment

Get rid of the Simple File Sharing and tell us what happens.

I have yet to see a case where Simple File Sharing offers more benefit than trouble.
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                        X