X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always default to domain, never to workstation

All:

I am attempting to locate a registry hack to acomplish the following:
    default to our local domain and never to the local workstation of our PC's.

I tried the common registry hack under HDLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon

But that only reverts to the domain if it was the last option chosen.

Problem:
    IF anyone logs into the workstation, then users who are confused about PC's in general CAN'T log into our domain.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am even willing to remove the local login from the login screen but I could not find any posts on that anywhere.

Thanks in advance...
    C

Re: Always default to domain, never to workstation

You can try setting up UPN, though it may just confuse them further, and so far I have not found a solution for that

The UPN (or User Principal Name) provides an alternate way of logging on to a domain. Typically you log onto a domain by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete, typing in your user name, domain name, and password, and then pressing ENTER. With a UPN, you don’t enter separate user and domain names, instead you just enter a user name and password
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Although I understand your plight, this is an end user training issue.

I'd spend 5 minutes looking for the solution to this and if you can't find it, send out an email to all users:

To: All users in the global address book
      Subject: End user training item
      Body: When you log on to the network in the morning, ensure that the domain specified is <your_domain_here>.

Repeat this email once per month until no more helpdesk calls come in about users not being able to log on because they are choosing the incorrect domain.

If the rest of the world's users can figure this out, your users can too.

Jas
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jason, you BOFH

I have always wanted to say that

"...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Believe what you may, but there is a lot more truth in my reply than sarcasm.

As an administrator, you have two ways to tackle this:

The technical method which may or may not exist and could vary extensively on the complexity. How far are you willing to go (resources, time, money, sweat, risk) to produce the same result as a different option could produce?

Which brings us to option 2: An end user training method which I definitely believe is where this issue falls into.

So to role play this one out,

Option 1: we could have hours of searching on the internet, developing the solution, testing the solution in a lab/DEV environment, then scripting the rolling out to production. This could come in the form of scripted registry entries for all workstations, AD servers, modifying the AD schema, etc. On the radical end, this is way too high of a risk for what's being asked of the administrator.

Option 2: Send out a few staggered emails to remind users of the proper use of business equipment. This isn't so much different than any other end user equipment use policy. Lazy people who refuse to learn the proper use of equipment will be dealt with either by HR or public humiliation, your choice, which could ultimately lead to termination. Bring in the T word and suddenly people develop a quick learning capacity.
          Last edited by jasonboche; 21st May 2007, 20:03.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

For the record, this is about the same argument as the guy in the other thread who needs more than 26 letters in the english alphabet to map his 26+ network drives.

Comment

Working...
            X