XP Home Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home Help

Can anyone advise help with XP Home Edition?

Re: XP Home Help

Originally posted by samsmalley View Post
    Can anyone advise help with XP Home Edition?
    Sam: What's up? What is your objective with this post? Do you have a problem you would like resolved? Please help us help you.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

1. When starting up my PC I'd like to skip the logon and go directly to my desktop.

2. When shutting down I'm encountering a menu to shutdown, restart etc. When I select shutdown the system reboots and menu appears and I select shutdown and then the shutdown happens normally.

Only my wife and I use this PC and would like to speed up the process of turning on and getting to work and shutting down and not having to shut down twice.

I'm using a program "Smart shutdown" which shuts down my PC correctly but would like to have the "natural xp" shutdown work.

Comment

Realize few of us have XP Home and most of us come from the corporate world where logon / logoff is a fact of life.

I have a 6 year old and I do have his machine auto-logon to his account.

He is running WXP Pro but I'm guessing it will work w/ XP Home. Does require registry tweaking which need to understand has a downside should you mess it up.

Google this and you'll learn how it is done:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...logon+registry

Regarding your shutdown issues w/ "natural xp" shutdown -- need to understand why it doesn't work as desired.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

An easier way to "fix" the login issue is to install and use "TweakUI" which is one of the "PowerToys" for Windows XP - but I can never find the flippin thing. Can anyone post a link to it? One of the sections in the settings is to set the machine to automatically log on. There are also all sorts of other interesting and useful "tweaks" to the user interface which make XP that little bit more bearable to use.

Anyway - it's a lot easier than registry tweaks for a computer n00b or for someone who just wants to get down and do their work, without worrying too much about the inner workings.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

As for the shutdown issue, that's an odd one. I've seen it before when "shutdown" leaves the computers stating a message that it's now safe to turn off; but never that "shutdown" restarts the PC. Especially not when it only does it once...?!

It's worth looking in the System "Event Log" to see if anything happens when you select the "Shut Down" option... right-click "My Computer", select "Manage", and the event logs are at the top... select "System" and see what happened at the time you last shut down...

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Adding TweakUI to the google search reveals:

http://www.petri.com/configuring_autologon.htm
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I never thought my XP Home knowledge would come in handy.

What the OP is experiencing are configurable things in Home.

Go to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off and check Use the Welcome screen

Note - if you are using the "Classic View" for the Control Panel then you only have to click User Accounts once.

Also note that "Smart shutdown" might be interfering with this functionality so post back and let us know how it goes.

EDIT - forgot to add the auto login bit:

Start -> Run -> type in Control userpasswords2 -> uncheck User must enter... etc. -> type in the name and password of the user you want to log in automatically and click OK
                Last edited by JeremyW; 8th May 2007, 22:22.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                  ... "TweakUI" which is one of the "PowerToys" for Windows XP - but I can never find the flippin thing. Can anyone post a link to it?
                  You asked so nicely, how could I refuse?
                  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
                  Note: although they were developed by Microsoft, these puppies are not supported by them. And playing with them (especially TweakUI), can get you in trouble. So backup your computer before doing anything (duh? That's always a good thing ).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Cool thanks Sorin

You should be the MVM... (oh, wait a minute I did that joke already...)

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                      Cool thanks Sorin

You should be the MVM... (oh, wait a minute I did that joke already...)

Yeah, you did
                      But I'm indulgent, probably you're still on "high"

Enjoy it, dude !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X