No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Evaluation Upgrade Utility?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Evaluation Upgrade Utility?

I had to reinstall Windows 2000 and misplaced the product key. I used an evaluation copy until I found the product key for Windows 2000 Pro. I have since found my key but I can't install the upgrade now on top of the evaluation version. Microsoft has a knowledge base article refering to an evaluation upgrade utility but when I follow the link it cannot be found. Does someone have another approach or this utility archived that they could share? Thank you in advance. Here is what I found from Microsoft:

Re: Windows 2000 Evaluation Upgrade Utility?

Did a full version CD of Windows 2000 not come with that key that you have?

It's time to upgrade.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

I agree on the upgrade. Unfortunately, I am doing this for someone who is unable to upgrade at this time. The only full version I had was an evaluation. The purchased copy is an upgrade and has a valid key. Windows 2000 requires a utility to recognize the evaluation as a valid path for the upgrade version. I was hoping someone had this archived since it is no longer available at Microsoft's site.
      Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

It's not my lucky day . All the paths lead to dead ends.
        I can see at the moment two possible options:
        - contact local Microsoft representative ;
        - re-install the computer with an older OS and then upgrade. You can see in this article the possible upgrade paths : . This, of course, if you can re-install (not enough details to know that)...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.