Software for Windows XP that allows you to configure setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software for Windows XP that allows you to configure setting

Hello, I am looking for a software that will allow me to change the setting on windows. I saw it once at a cyber cafe, where you entered your user name and password, and all the basic programs will load on the desktop and that was it.

ie. word, excel, IE and any other program. When trying to go to start, it will basically pop-up with shut down, restart or logoff feature.

You were not able to install any software, delete icons, nothing what so ever. I know you can do this via AD, but these PCs are located remotely and do not login to the AD at the main office.

Hopefully someone can help me.
    Thank you.

Re: Software for Windows XP that allows you to configure setting

Group Policy Objects, as you have found, work on a network with AD present. For those PCs which are standalone, you could use Local Security Policy (Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy).

I'm pretty sure that when a GPO is applied to a machine in the AD, that it actually changes the Local Security Policies on that machine so that when that machine is removed from the network, such as a notebook, it retains the GPO-applied settings.

Note that once you have applied the Local Security Policies, you need to change the users' access rights so that they can not access the LSP applet and change your settings back.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Comment

Working...
    X