Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro install problems

Hello,
    I have an HP Pavilion a220n (produced in 2003) with AMD processor, 1GB RAM. I decided to upgrade my hard drive from 160 to 320 GB. I replaced the hard drive with a new WD hard drive. No problem there. Now, I want to install the OS. I am using Windows XP Pro. I ran the install and was getting errors such as "unable to install the file qedit.dll" and similar errors. I tried a few times with no luck.

I contact HP support. I felt that the problem may be my CD-ROM. HP confirmed that it may be the case. So I upgraded to a new HP DVD/CD-ROM. Installed it easily, and tried to install the OS again. I formatted the hard drive NTFS (fully, not quick), and I am still getting errors of files not being able to copy! I can't believe it!

I checked the BIOS, and the CD-ROM is the 1st bootable followed by the new hard drive.

I was able to get past some of the errors, and the install says the computer will reboot in 15 seconds. When it does, it stops to halt, no movement from the hard drive light indication. Nothing.

I tried to do the install again, no luck. Any ideas what it could be? Could it be the motherboard?

Any ideas? Thank you.

Re: Windows XP Pro install problems

Two thing come to mind.
    It could be the CD itself, flip it over and inspect for scratches.
    or
    If you have a SATA Hard drive you will need to load the SATA drivers during the install
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I suggest the install using another CD if u are able to. I have encounter this situation before. Sometimes a few retry will do. Sometimes u will need to get another CD.

Hope this help.
      Just another MCP

Comment

The CD is in perfect condition. I even tried another CD. Same situation. When I contact HP, they initially said that the CD may be a problem, but I told them that it was in perfect condition. Then they said it would the CD-ROM. I replaced it, same thing.

As for SATA, the drive is Ultra DMA. Here are the original specs of the computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

On the, perhaps, 20th try, it installed most of the OS. There was a missing file, but it looks like everything is now OK. It's very strange. I am not sure if there is anything I should look for, but it's working, and I have been updating via Windows Update. So far, so good. Thank you.

Comment

I would run diagnostics on the memory. I was getting read errors a few weeks ago went trying to install XP on a machine. If I retried enough it would "find" the file and continue with the install. I ran some hardware diags and the memory came up bad. Replaced the memory and the install went off with out a hitch.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I too have had the same problem. The two solutions that should fix it are to replace the CDROM drive with another of a different make/model and as Jeremy pointed out, swap the memory over. The latter case is the most probable solution. If there are two sticks of RAM, remove one then try to install the OS. If the problem continues, remove the other and retry.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
            |

Comment

well this could be because of your hardware conflicts as well ,so next time try to disable all the hardwares(unrequired hardwares )i.e printer ,nic connection etc and try again or you can press shift f10 during installation to open command prompt to open device manager and then try to disable them may be this can fix your issue.
              regards
              archit .

Comment

Originally posted by architbahuguna View Post
                well this could be because of your hardware conflicts as well ....
                How do we get hardware conflicts these days? I don't think I saw one of these since the days of the P3.

,so next time try to disable all the hardwares(unrequired hardwares )i.e printer ,nic connection etc and try again or you can press shift f10 during installation to open command prompt to open device manager and then try to disable them may be this can fix your issue.
                regards
                archit .
                I don't think you can run Device Manager from the SHFT-10 feature. Even if you could, there wouldn't be anything in there. Anyhow, you can't do as much in a WinXP installtion as you can in a Vista one.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                |

Comment

My dears, no hardware conflict on HP ready system!!!

But maybe this HD is locked and is not allowed on the BIOS. Do you ask to HP if is it possible to use it with your pavilion?

I know is one in milion new WD HDs with problems, but do you try already reinstall winxp with the same cd on the old HD?

Comment

Working...
                  X