Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin rights without password change rights

Hi Guys..

i've a small network with 2003 server and 25 odd pc's.
    some of my users need admin rights for their accounts , so i gave admin rights on the particular pc's for their AD login. But I do not want users changing the Administrator password of the system.

Can you help me blocking this??
    many thanks,
    Harry

Re: admin rights without password change rights

If they're an administrator then they'll be able to change the local Administrator's password.

Why do they need to be an administrator?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

they need to install/uninstall programs which needs admin rights(

Comment

Two possiblities come to mind.

Move them to the Power Users group. Power Users can install any programs that do not modify system files. You could try giving them Full control over the system files but I really don't know what affect that would have.

Another option would be to run a script that sets the password on Administrator account at startup. You'd have to include some kind of verification that it worked so that if a user does take control of the computer you could be investigating it within a day.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

On the domain security policies you can change the local admin username and pwd (for a security cause), this can help to solve your problem, and each time the machine is logged on the domain the password will be reseted.

Comment

Originally posted by nitoglycerine View Post
            On the domain security policies you can change the local admin username and pwd (for a security cause), this can help to solve your problem, and each time the machine is logged on the domain the password will be reseted.
            You can use Group Policy to rename the administrator account but I'm unaware of any setting that will allow you to specify a password. Could you tell us where this setting is located?

The admin account rename setting is located Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts: rename administrator account
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X