Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on how to revive this NTFS drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on how to revive this NTFS drive?

Hi All,

I've recently taken responsibility for fixing a friend of mine's laptop, which used to be running Windows XP, but now fails to boot and shows that :

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM"

Usually I would just throw the XP CD into the CDROM and use the recovery console for this, or even go for a linux Live Disc, but this laptop also happens to have a dead CDROM drive -- and one that is not easy to change out at that.

So my next idea was to go for BartPE -- but I soon realized that wasn't going to work either. I put on it a 512mb flash drive, but the laptop's memory isn't sufficient -- BartPE requires a minimum of 256 and this is just under 230.

So then on to Damn Small Linux, where I found that it did not have NTFS Write capability. So nix that.

Then I found Linux INSERT, which is equipped with NTFSFIX -- which I found out is used for fixing the NTFS Journal. This looked very promising until something strange occurred while running NTFSFIX. After a few processes completed -- an "OK" being printed to the screen, following the name of the process, upon successful process completion -- the final (it seemed) process failed in a rather strange way. While trying to "Reset the NTFS Journal" the command prompt begin to print out and endless number of "^@" until my entire prompt was full and the laptop starting beeping in distress!

I have since searched google trying to find a reference to this occurrence but have found none.

So I ask if you have any ideas on how to get this laptop to boot up, please share!

I am fresh out of brain.

Re: Any ideas on how to revive this NTFS drive?

Originally posted by 00010001
    Then I found Linux INSERT, which is equipped with NTFSFIX -- which I found out is used for fixing the NTFS Journal. This looked very promising until something strange occurred while running NTFSFIX. After a few processes completed -- an "OK" being printed to the screen, following the name of the process, upon successful process completion -- the final (it seemed) process failed in a rather strange way. While trying to "Reset the NTFS Journal" the command prompt begin to print out and endless number of "^@" until my entire prompt was full and the laptop starting beeping in distress!
    That looks like a jammed key(s) on the keyboard.

Another option is to remove the HDD and attached it to a working machine either by USB or IDE (using the appropriate adapter) and copy the i386 folder from the XP CD to the laptop HDD. Then you can run the XP setup from the HDD. The XP Boot Floppies can be found: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That NTFSFIX scenario actually occurred twice in a row, so I'm pretty certain it's not a sticky key.

I prefer not opening up this laptop because it's not mine and I hear it's usually a large pain. Having said that, I might end up doing just that.

If there was a way to shrink the memory requirement for using BartPE on a USB drive -- that might work. I'm searching for that but haven't come across anything yet.

If I can't find that my only option would probably be to open her up.

There is a boot on LAN option already on the machine. I've never used anything of that sort before, so I might be way off with this, but maybe I could boot another hard drive (another comp on LAN running XP) that would allow me to network and view the contents of the laptop's HD and then make changes to the System files? I still have to do some research on that one.

Anyhow, thanks for your advice!

Comment

With a broken CDROM/DVD drive, options are getting pretty limited. If I'm in need of a part, I'll often check ebay. You'd be surprised at what you can find out there.

Unless there is data that needs to be recovered, I think the effort involved in recovering, fixing, or rebuilding this machine is futile

"Time of death... 7:08pm Central Time"
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Well it looks like this one is either going to be sitting around the owner's apartment for eternity, or he'll opt for buying a new CDROM, or perhaps more memory -- or perhaps both!

In any case, thanks for helping put this one to rest, guys.

Comment

For future reference, do you like to be called 00010001, or simply 17?
            VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
            boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
            My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

If both the HDD and the CDROM have gone, i'm thinking this laptop may have taken a bit of a fall!!

I would definately take the HDD out (it really isn't very hard most laptops you only have to remove one screw and it just slides out) and back it up before you carry on.

You have a couple of choices, you can use an external USB CDROM and boot Winternals AdminPak, great Util, and see what's going on, or just boot from an external USB CDROM and repair XP.

I would definately copy the data off the HDD first though mate, better to be safe than sorry

Cheers
              Dean

Comment

Working...
              X