Clear All

• I dont have USB 2 HISPEED ports?

I just picked up a new system for a customer. Here are the specs:
    • Asus P5VD2-VM mobo
    • 2 GB RAM
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 6420 CPU
    • Win XP SP2
    • NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS Video Card

Each time I plug in a HISPEED USB device, like my 4 GB memory stick, I get a WinXP balloon msg stating "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. Here's what I see when I click the balloon:

This happens on all USB ports- front & back. What do I do to fix this issue?
    Last edited by JDMils; 21st April 2007, 15:28.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: I dont have USB 2 HISPEED ports?

Install the motherboard drivers supplied by the manufacturer and then update them if necessary via the Web.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Tried all that already. Nothing has changed. Why is this happening?
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
        Tried all that already. Nothing has changed. Why is this happening?
        Try uninstalling the USB controller, reboot, when it starts the wizard to install the new hardware have it check Windows Update.
        If that doesn't work contact the manufacturer and/or the vendor.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

As Jeremy said, uninstall the hub, but use the Microsoft drivers instead of the manufacturers. They're all the same design but the Microsoft USB2 drivers will mean they are guaranted to work in Windows!

I never use manufacturer USB2 drivers as it usually breaks it!!

Cheers

Dean

Comment

Originally posted by DeanPorter View Post
            As Jeremy said, uninstall the hub, but use the Microsoft drivers instead of the manufacturers. They're all the same design but the Microsoft USB2 drivers will mean they are guaranted to work in Windows!

I never use manufacturer USB2 drivers as it usually breaks it!!

Cheers

Dean
            ...and yet my Dell's USB ports will not work as USB2.0 unless I install Dell's drivers...

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I find it is usually the Intel INF (or in your case, the VIA P4M900 / VIA VT8237A) that makes the difference. I take it you've loaded that?

See the "Utilities" pick here:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I re-partitioned and re-installed WinXP SP2 and off the bat it did the same thing. I'm taking it back to the supplier today!
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

If you still have it, I would try to update the BIOS. The latest version is dated March 2007.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Did that already. Anyhow, the supplier still has the machine. I visted them today and they thought the problem was only with the front USB ports so they installed a new one (on the case). They then told me that one of those front ports was still faulty and that had to be replaced again.

I then pointed out that it was the same with the rear, mobo-mounted ports. They plugged in their USB devices and all went well. I then pulled out my USB stick (2 weeks old!) and up came the warning. I then put my stick in another PC they had there with the same case and mobo and it worked fine.

They told me it could be the mobo or even the power supply and asked me to leave my USB stick there. I'll hound them again later today for an update.
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

Got the system back from the shop. They reckon it was an MS problem and all they did was uninstall and re-install the USB devices in Device Manager until the drivers loaded properly! Sounds sus to me tho.
                      |
                      +-- JDMils
                      |
                      |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                        Got the system back from the shop. They reckon it was an MS problem and all they did was uninstall and re-install the USB devices in Device Manager until the drivers loaded properly! Sounds sus to me tho.

Yep sure does.

Why did it do it then with a vanilla install??

Me thinks your going to have problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X