Install Microsoft Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Microsoft Updates

On a Windows 2000 sp4 computer I am unable to install microsoft updates. From microsofts website it says to start Background Intelligent Transfer Service, I can not start this service I have started the Dependencies of bits but still can not start bits.
    Any suggestions?

Re: Install Microsoft Updates

Are you getting an error message when you try?
    Is there any errors in the event log?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Error code 0x80246008 for all critical updates that I can not install.

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear. Let me clarify.

Are you getting an error message when you try and start the BITS?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeffaz View Post
          On a Windows 2000 sp4 computer I am unable to install microsoft updates. From microsofts website it says to start Background Intelligent Transfer Service, I can not start this service I have started the Dependencies of bits but still can not start bits.
          Any suggestions?
          BITS doesn't start unless it has work to do (IE downloading patch files).

The BITS service should be set to a MANUAL startup type. Automatic Updates will start BITS as needed.

Jas
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I get no error messages when starting bits, I will set it to manual and try again.

Comment

Here are some of my patch management notes using WSUS and Automatic Updates:

• In order for Automatic Updates to work properly,
              The Automatic Updates service must be set to Automatic and running.
              The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) must be set to manual and it may or may not be running (normally it’s not running unless it has work to do).
              • The Automatic Updates log file on each server is located in %systemroot%\WindowsUpdate.log. This log file contains very useful information for troubleshooting the Automatic Updates service on the WSUS client machines.

• In rare instances, the Automatic Updates client may have problems downloading the updates from the WSUS server. It will also have problems downloading updates from the http://www.windowsupdate.com/ update website.
              The resolution for this condition is to open a command prompt and run the following command: regsvr32 msxml3.dll. Reboot the problem machine.
              • In rare instances, the Automatic Updates client may have problems. One symptom is that the Automatic Updates service will no longer start on the WSUS client.
              To resolve this issue, open a command prompt and run the following commands: regsvr32 /u wuaueng.dll then after that, regsvr32 wuaueng.dll. Reboot the problem machine.
              • Software updates are downloaded to each client using the client’s BITS service (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). In rare occasions the BITS queue may get hung or clogged on the client machine (think of the BITS queue like you would think of a print queue). Useful bitsadmin commands that can be used at the command prompt on the client machine to manipulate the BITS service:
              bitsadmin /? list all bitsadmin commands and parameters
              bitsadmin /list /allusers list all BITS jobs in the download queue
              bitsadmin /monitor /allusers actively monitor the BITS download queue
              bitsadmin /reset /allusers nukes the BITS download queue. Stop and restart the Automatic Updates service and then issue the wuauclt.exe /detectnow command after using the bitsadmin /reset /allusers command. “unclogs the drain”
              • Try stopping and restarting the Automatic Updates service
              • Awesome WSUS resource website: http://www.wsuswiki.com/
              • Good WSUS resource website: http://www.wsus.info/

WUAUCLT.EXE command line options:

Detectnow Option
              Because waiting for detection to start can be a time-consuming process, an option has been added to allow you to initiate detection right away. On one of the computers with the new Automatic Update client installed, run the following command at the command prompt:
              wuauclt.exe /detectnow

Resetauthorization Option
              WSUS uses a cookie on client computers to store various types of information, including computer group membership when client-side targeting is used. By default this cookie expires an hour after WSUS creates it. If you are using client-side targeting and change group membership, use this option in combination with detectnow to expire the cookie, initiate detection, and have WSUS update computer group membership.
              Note that when combining parameters, you can use them only in the order specified as follows:
              wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
              ===========
              Stop WSUS Client-Side service (net stop wuauserv)
              Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate and delete:
              PingID (if listed)
              AccountDomainSid
              SusClientId
              And then restart the WSUS client-side service (net start wuauserv). Then, run wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow to force WSUS to get its act together and start over. It'll recreate the keys you deleted with a unique ID, solving the problem.
              ===========
              Last edited by jasonboche; 20th April 2007, 21:09.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I suppose you've already thoroughly gone through this KB
                http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;910337

Might want to check out these:
                http://www.microsoft.com/communities...e8767e&m=1&p=1
                http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...x80246008.aspx
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just an after thought on this one if it's not resolved. Try re-installing BITS you can obtain it from MS Downloads
                  The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                  ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X