This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't join Win 2003 domain with win XP

I keep getting the following error when trying to connect a Win XP machine to a New install of Win 2003 Server:

The following error occured when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate the domain controller for domain mydomain.

The error was "This operation returned because the time out period expired" (error code 0x000005B4 error timeout).

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain

I just built the server and precisely followed the instructions on this website and AD seems to be funtioning properly. Dynamic updates is on and nslookup resolves as well.[/i]

When it prompts for the domain name try typing the entire FQDN.

For example, the friendly domain name might be BLAH but the FQDN is BLAH.LOCAL etc.

If this still doesn't work try running DCDIAG and NETDIAG to check for any irregularities. If there is truely a problem with the SRV record it will let you know.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

d_weller, no cross posting is allowed here.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X