Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirect patch file downloads

Running Windows XP Pro service pack 2

This computer is dual booted. The XP partition is only 5 gigs.
    I expect this partition to become full of Microsoft patch files.
    How can I redirect these patch files so they go to a different drive ?

Re: Redirect patch file downloads

I can't answer your question directly, but it may not matter. I have XP Pro SP2 on 5GB partitions (2 of them on this machine) with (nearly) all the patches, and no problems with space.

"Program Files" takes a lot more space even with a modest suite of programs, and "Documents and Settings" can grow arbitrarily. Do you have programs and documents on separate partitions from Windows?

Comment

I agree with Code... your problem is going to be redirecting "Program Files" (a registry key) and Profiles (more complex).

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Why not delete the $NtUninstallKB925902$ type folders or are you planning on uninstalling updates sometime in the future.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you dont to delete them, just move them to another folder. DONT DELETE the $hf_mig$ folder (Cant remember why, just that you shouldnt do it!)

Why not partition magic (or similar) and increase the partition size -- 5Gb is a little small.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
            DONT DELETE the $hf_mig$ folder
            the $hf_mig$ folder is there for future upgrades to reference, so that
            they won't unwittingly undermine an already installed hotfix by mistakenly
            installing an older-or-incompatable version of a file.
            Thanks to PCPreview for the above info.
            http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-444182.php

(Guess I had better stop deleting it as well )
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

>>Do you have programs and documents on separate partitions from Windows?
              Yes.

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              I can't answer your question directly, but it may not matter. I have XP Pro SP2 on 5GB partitions (2 of them on this machine) with (nearly) all the patches, and no problems with space.

"Program Files" takes a lot more space even with a modest suite of programs, and "Documents and Settings" can grow arbitrarily. Do you have programs and documents on separate partitions from Windows?

Comment

I thought about this. I don't plan to uninstall patches. I just thought there might be an easy registry entry which might direct these files to drive E.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Why not delete the $NtUninstallKB925902$ type folders or are you planning on uninstalling updates sometime in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X