Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uninstalling windows 2000 pro

Hi there,

Please could anybody help me with my query. I am not at all technical but I have bought a used computer from my husbands work which has Windows 2000 installed on it. I have installed Windows XP myself so it now has two operating systems and not surprisingly isn't coping very well Would somebody please let me know whether it is possible for me to delete Windows 2000 and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks in anticipation,

sulli1

Re: uninstalling windows 2000 pro

Sulli - for someone who is not IT literate this isn't going to be a very simple task - but it's not particularly difficult either.

You're going to have to install XP again - but this time make some different choices.

When it shows you a list of disks to install it on, read the text above and select the option to DELETE the partition. As long as you read the screen in detail every time it changes you will be fine.

The partition you want to delete will probably show as "C" and will definitely be bigger than 5000Mb. There may be only one (in which case obviously it doesn't matter).

Once that's deleted (you'll have to press several keys to commit to this) select the "Unpartitioned Space" it leaves behind and press "Enter". When it asks, select "Quick format NTFS". After this, the process is pretty much what you did before; only at the end you will only have Windows XP on the machine. Obviously if you have any questions during the process, leave the machine be and come and ask. The machine won't "do" anything while you're waiting for an answer, so you'll be pretty safe.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Daniel has a nice article on installing XP (lots of pictures = good article)
      Take a look at step #3 for what Tom (Stonelaughter) is talking about.
      http://www.petri.com/install_windows_xp_pro.htm
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

STOP!!

Don't forget to backup any data you have before this XP install since this process will wipe the drive clean. Since this is a second-hand laptop, I would NOT do a Quick Format. A full format will take longer but it will check the hard drive for bad sectors that may have formed during the previous owner's occupation and map them out and provide you with an error free drive.

And lastly, make sure you have all the drivers BEFORE you start as there is always a chance XP may not install drivers for your laptop. Have a look in Device Manager for what you need.
        Last edited by biggles77; 6th April 2007, 15:25. Reason: Spelling
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I doubt there'll be any data as this has come from hubby's employer; however the rest of the points Biggles makes are good ones.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            Sulli - for someone who is not IT literate this isn't going to be a very simple task - but it's not particularly difficult either.

You're going to have to install XP again - but this time make some different choices.

When it shows you a list of disks to install it on, read the text above and select the option to DELETE the partition. As long as you read the screen in detail every time it changes you will be fine.

The partition you want to delete will probably show as "C" and will definitely be bigger than 5000Mb. There may be only one (in which case obviously it doesn't matter).

Once that's deleted (you'll have to press several keys to commit to this) select the "Unpartitioned Space" it leaves behind and press "Enter". When it asks, select "Quick format NTFS". After this, the process is pretty much what you did before; only at the end you will only have Windows XP on the machine. Obviously if you have any questions during the process, leave the machine be and come and ask. The machine won't "do" anything while you're waiting for an answer, so you'll be pretty safe.
            Hi there,

Thank you for your kind help I have a but of a problem here though, I am actually in the middle of trying to re-install my XP the way you have advised me to and when I try to delete the partition I am getting a message saying I am not able to perform the function because XP needs some of the temporary files on that partition to re-install - do you know if there is a way around this at all?

thanks again,

Jenny

Comment

Did you boot from the CD or did you run the install after Windows booted up?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                Boot from the CD or did you run the install after Windows booted up?
                Windows had already booted up. Do I take the CD out at this stage, turn the computer off and back on and then re-run? All help much appreciated.

Comment

When you reboot you'll want to leave the CD in the drive and when you see the Press any key to boot from CD... then press any key!

If you don't see anything prompting you to boot from the CD then you'll need to change the boot options in the BIOS. You access the BIOS when you first turn on the computer and you have the manufacturer's splash screen. Somewhere on the screen it'll say something like Press F2 to enter Setup. It will vary depending on the manufacturer. It could very well be Esc or Del or etc.

I'd read through this article which I posted earlier. http://www.petri.com/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

EDIT - Sorry I don't give my complete thoughts... it must be confusing.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Boot from the XP CD. There should be an option that will allow you to change the boot order at the POST screen. Try pressing F12 (tap, tap, tap etc) as soon as you have powered on the laptop. If you get a menu appear, select CD ROM and boot from the CD. Follow the prompts.

Post back if problems.

And I was going to say NOBODY suggest going into the BIOS just yet. Too many wrong changes could be accidently made.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      Boot from the XP CD. There should be an option that will allow you to change the boot order at the POST screen. Try pressing F12 (tap, tap, tap etc) as soon as you have powered on the laptop. If you get a menu appear, select CD ROM and boot from the CD. Follow the prompts.

Post back if problems.

And I was going to say NOBODY suggest going into the BIOS just yet. Too many wrong changes could be accidently made.

I just tried the F12 (tap, tap, tap) method and I get the option to boot from CD, which it has tried to do but it still won't let me delete the partition because it says set-up needs the temporary files, how can that be? Is there anything else I can do here? - please

Comment

Also - should I be disabling the floppy and hard drive options in the set-up page?

Thanks again,

Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by sulli1 View Post
                          I just tried the F12 (tap, tap, tap) method and I get the option to boot from CD, which it has tried to do but it still won't let me delete the partition because it says set-up needs the temporary files, how can that be? Is there anything else I can do here? - please
                          Did you see the prompt Press any key to boot from CD... ?

Originally posted by sulli1 View Post
                          Also - should I be disabling the floppy and hard drive options in the set-up page?
                          Sounds like you're in the BIOS. No, you'll just want to move the CD drive to the top of the order.

Sorry Biggles77, she was already there.

EDIT - BTW Chris, I haven't had much success using the boot menu to boot from a CD. I usually have to change the boot order to get it to work.
                          Last edited by JeremyW; 6th April 2007, 22:27.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                            Did you see the prompt Press any key to boot from CD... ?

Sounds like you're in the BIOS. No, you'll just want to move the CD drive to the top of the order.

Sorry Biggles77, she was already there.
                            Hi all,

Thank you so much for your help - JeremyW I must have been missing the 'press any key to boot from CD prompt until now, but now that I've done it I've been able to delete the partition and move forth with the re-installation.

You guys have really helped me here, so thanks again!!

Jenny

Comment

Yay!!

*waves arms in the air*

I helped someone!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X