No announcement yet.

Domain-Local Profiles?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain-Local Profiles?

Hoping that the gurus on this thread can further explain a couple of things:

I have a Windows XP Pro machine on a home network.
    A Linux (Ubuntu) box running Samba is the PDC.
    All profiles are local (no roaming profiles).

1. Is it possible for me to use THE EXACT SAME PROFILE (not a copy) when logging in to the Domain AND to the Local machine, without using a roaming profile? If so, how?

2. If not, how can I copy my exisiting Local login profile to be my Domain login profile? Nothing I've tried so far has gotten the COMPLETE profile to copy (things are missing: wallpaper, taskbar services, god knows what else).

I've been a local-only user for years and like my profile. Don't want to have to rebuild it. Setting up and using the Domain is a learning experiment and has no real purpose beyond that. I realize that I can logon to the domain without being attached to it (which solves the "problem"), but want to understand the mechanics of it better.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Domain-Local Profiles?

Hi Brud.
    Please do not hijack threads in the future. Just start a new one and if need be reference the other thread.

Also, please read the rules before your next post

To your question:
    1. I'm not familiar at all with Linux domains but with Active Directory and Windows you can use Cached Credentials to log on to a domain without being connected to it if you have previously authenticated from that machine.

2. You should be able to have everything copy if you use the proper method. See Sorinso's posts in this thread

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond