Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop between 2 XP Computers

Hi,

Is it, or how is it possible to access to an other XP computer from a XP computer using the Remote Desktop modules ?
    Remote Desktop is well installed on the 2 computers, but i cannot reach the other one using his name or his IP address (does not exists) but the computer is avalaible in the Network View.
    Allow users to connect remotely to this computer is well checked and i cannot add a Remote User from the other computer. He is well in the same workgroup, but he does not appears.
    The remote desktop application is also well authorized in the Windows XP firewall.

I use the 192.168.x.x addresses and XP SP2 and the network runs correctly.

Where are the errors ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Eric

You mentioned that you were unable to reach the machine... If you mean that you're not getting the login screen then something is blocking the connection. Make sure the service is enabled. Check that the port is open in all of your firewall applications.

run cmd, netstat -a

You should have something like this listed...
    TCP machinename:3389 workgroup:0 LISTENING
    If you don't then something is wrong with the service or the service port has been changed.

Make sure you're not behind a NAT device.

Finally - Remote Desktop doesn't work on XP Home (it can connect to others but others can't connect to it). Check out http://www.tightvnc.com/ if you're using XP Home.

---

If you are able to get the login screen but are unable to establish a connection, read on.

In order to allow the other user to connect remotely you'll need to first create an account for that user - or let them use an existing account on the machine.

Using the same username and password that is already in use on the other machine will simplify things. Assign them rights (power user etc).

Once you've added the user its just a matter of adding the new account to the list of users who can connect remotely.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot Andrew.

The port 3389 was not opened, but which is the service to activate.
      I opened several ones and that is OK, but only one is necessary, which one ?

Thanks again.
      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
        Thanks a lot Andrew.

The port 3389 was not opened, but which is the service to activate.
        I opened several ones and that is OK, but only one is necessary, which one ?
        3389 is the default port.
        Make sure the Terminal Services service is running.
        In system properties winkey+pause/break click the remote tab. Make sure the box is checked to allow remote desktop.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

:P Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X