Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimising XP's paging file (on a 2nd, removable HDD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimising XP's paging file (on a 2nd, removable HDD)

Dear Forum reader,
    I have never used or read these forums before, probably because I have read and been assited by Daniel's pages so well in the past.
    But now and even after reading among other guides, Daniel's article entitled How can I optimize the Windows 2000/XP/2003 virtual memory (Pagefile)? I remain unclear as to how best to optimise my notebook's paging file. The article I refer to can be viewed here http://www.petri.com/pagefile_optimization.htm
    So far I think I have a superficial understanding of most of the considerations particularly the concept of placing a paging file on a HDD which does not hold the operating or boot partitions where a system has two or more fixed hard disk drives. However in my case, I have in my IBM notebbok one 60GB primary HDD and six partitions, and a second, removable HDD which replaces the floppy, CDRW/DVD drive or other modular device.
    So given that after a clean Windows installation, I occasionally need to remove this secondary HDD to use either the floppy or CDRW/DVD drive to play the occasional DVD movie or to rip, play or burn an audio or data CD, my consideration revolves around whether to move the page file to another partiton on the fixed, primary HDD, the removable, secondary HDD or both, and whether to still as Daniel describes, leave a 50MB page file on the C drive AND if so, how best to do this.Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions as to what and how best to do it would be much appreciated. And if you occasionally find time ot look in on these forums thank you Daniel for your wonderful resource site.
    Sincerely,
    David Morgan
    in Australia (how many gold medals did we win!)

PS to my post above, I could perhaps on reflection better put my question this way:
    To best optimise my pagefile and improve system performance which would be better?
    • 1. Locating the pagefile on a dedicated partition on the fixed primary IDE HDD [Disk 1];

• 2. Leaving as recommended by Daniel, a 50MB pagefile on C [Disk 1], creating a new pagefile on a dedicated partition on a hot-swappable, secondary IDE HDD [Disk 2], which is only removed occasionally to use a CDRW/DVD drive to rip, play or burn audio or data CDs or to play a DVD movies; and

• 3.Either way, what would the best way to monitor or benchmark any improvement.

Also, as both the abovementioned HDDs are IDE what does the advice in Daniel's artlicle on virtual memory,
    "For those with IDE hard drives, it is recommended to place the page file on separate IDE channels"
    mean and how do I use this information in either of the two choices above?
    Many thanks for your interest in my post and hope someome will have some suggestions. PS Can anyone tell me how I can attach a small text file? It contains information on both IDE disks saved using System Information

PS I have 512 MB RAM and here is some current pagfile setting and performance information.

29/08/2004 6:28:32 AM

Pagefile Physical Location: C:\pagefile.sys
    Current Pagefile Usage: 18 MB
    Session Peak Usage: 23 MB
    Current Pagefile Size: 766 MB

Comment

what the best thing to do is to place you're pagefile on a serparate fixed drive.
      a seperate partition on the same fixed drive doesn't make any differance.

the size is about 1.5X you're current RAM, so:

512 * 1.5 = 768 MB of Pagefile.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi Dumber!
        Thanks for your interest in my post and reply.

I used to live and work in The Hague and while there visited friends in Amsterdam quite often. I remember seeing Getronics everywhere in particular, a big building on the train I think between The hague and Amsterdam.

what the best thing to do is to place you're pagefile on a serparate fixed drive.
        a seperate partition on the same fixed drive doesn't make any differance.

the size is about 1.5X you're current RAM, so:

512 * 1.5 = 768 MB of Pagefile.
        Yes, but I cannot have a seperate, fixed HDD, only a hot swapable, removable one.

I would like to try placing the pagefile on this removable disk but would windows let me remove it if I had to and if so, what would could the consequences be if the disk were removed to as I say rip, play or burn an audio or data CD or to play a DVD movie?

And if I do try this, should I leave as Daniel Petri suggests, 50MB on the boot partition [disk1] and would this be enough if [disk2] was removed?

Sincerely,

David Morgan
        (Didn't we just beat the Dutch in hockey at the Olympics?)

Comment

you know, i would leave the pagefile on the current Fixed Drive.
          i really think that fast drives with enough cache (8mb for example) and enough ram (1 GB for example) is much more better then moving you're pagefile..

moving you're pagefile is a nice cheap temporary solution. in the end you really need to buy some more ram or faster drive.

but that is only my opinion

futher more, you astralian guys really get lucky with hockey at the olympics..
          next time, we will win
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
          X