Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange login behavior

Hi,

One of our Windows 2000 users went to log into his computer today, and called in a panic because none of his usual icons were on his desktop, and his My Docs folder was empty.

Now, all his files are there, we can open his profile folder in the documents and settings folder, and all his desktop files, my docs, etc are all there. For some reason, it seems as though his login credentials are no longer associated with that profile. he is a home user, so I cant see the machine, but we walked through his login procedure over the phone, and he is logging in the same way as always.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks

Re: Strange login behavior

Was the computer connected to whatever it needs to be connected to?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Was the computer connected to whatever it needs to be connected to?
      Yeah. he's not connected to anything other than a home network, so not sure why its behaving like this. I guess I will just have him copy the files over to the profile that he is logging into now. Its strange.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jgarzoli View Post
        Yeah. he's not connected to anything other than a home network, so not sure why its behaving like this. I guess I will just have him copy the files over to the profile that he is logging into now. Its strange.

Thanks
        You can try to copy the old profile to the newly created one.

Open the system properties go to the user profiles (in XP click on the Advanced tab and click on Settings for User Profiles)
        (Sorry but the pic is from a 2k machine)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	copy1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	463055

Select the old profile and click Copy To and browse to the new user's profile folder
        e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\joesmoe
        Click image for larger version

Name:	copy2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	463056

This should copy of all the settings and files.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Well, so now a second user has called me today with the same exact problem. Its another guy that doesn't work in our office. Same thing. Its like hius profile disappeared, yet he still logs in the same way. I am going to try to have him copy over the data from one to the other, and see if it works.

Thanks for the responses

Comment

Working...
          X