Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP on workstations not using the deault port

Hi all,

I have a problem. I need to allow a few PCs to be accessable from outside using RDP. I allowed the forwarding on the router, and I have changed the listening ports on the workstation, but for some reason it will not work, only the 3389 default port will work to what ever computer i forward it to, can anybody please tell me what i am missing?

Thanks

liran

Re: RDP on workstations not using the deault port

lirank,

Have you changed the listening port on each workstation to something different i.e. port 3389, 3340, 3340? - (http://www.petri.com/change_terminal...ening_port.htm - This works for XP as well)

Have you forwarded the ports on your router to the correct PC's under the correct port you specified?

Have you tried connecting to your public IP / Domain via xx.xx.xx.xx:3389, xx.xx.xx.xx:3340, xx.xx.xx.xx:3341?

Let us know

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes.

i changed the listening port from the registery to 3390 i think, and forward the right port ont he router to the right ip, and then tried to connect using thepublic ip, did not work....

Comment

Mmm - The problem could be if your trying to leave your lan and enter again (I've had this problem many times before)

If you want to PM me your IP / Server name I will try from my internet connection

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Never mind - i'm a mod on this forum so I know it already

Just ran a portqry and it's comming back listening / filtered which sounds like your firewall is configured correctly.

Can you rdp from another machine to that machine on port 3390?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

good question, let me check.

Comment

does not let me, i dont understand it

Comment

Did you follow the instructions I posted above?

Have you tried rebooting your machine?

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

i am rebooting it now and yes i did

Comment

Originally posted by lirank View Post
                    i changed the listening port from the registery to 3390 i think,
                    Double check, and double check again.

I take it this is on a workstation? - If so why is it in the Windows 2000 / 2003 forum - If it's XP then let me know and I will move the thread.

If it's XP then is RDP actually enabled (It's disabled by default.)

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

xp and it is enabled

Comment

Thread moved to the Windows 2000 / XP Forum.

Well you've got me stumped!!

Unfortunaltey the only thing I can suggest is ensure it definately port 3390.

You mentioned before that when you change it back to 3389 it works fine - Is this still correct?

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lirank View Post
                          does not let me, i dont understand it
                          Just to confirm, the above means you can't establish an RDP connection on port 3390 to the XP machine from another computer on the same subnet?

Double check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber key. Make sure you edit it in Decimal. (note: if you edit it in hex then it should look like this D3E)

Also make sure you add the port number to the IP address/DNS name i.e. computername:3390
                          Last edited by JeremyW; 14th March 2007, 23:26.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

hi jemmy, yes i edited the decimal, and it is 3de indeed.

how can do the second thingly with the ip? let me know thanks

Comment

Forgive me, I just looked at my post and it has incomplete information.

It should have read
                              "Also, when you use RDC, make sure you add the port number to the IP address/DNS name i.e. computername:3390"

Click image for larger version

Name:	RDC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	463051

Do you have Windows Firewall enabled? If so, you'll need to make an exception for 3390.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X