Time Sync and Network Browsing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Sync and Network Browsing

I'm experiencing a very weird problem on one machine (Windows XP Pro SP2) that's been on the network for > 7 months with no problems. Today, it just would not connect to the network. I Googled for answer for ~3hours and all I could find was reference to lsa related settings that did not give me joy. I've tried all suggestion found here to no availa: http:// forums.microsoft.com /MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=210947&SiteID=1&PageID=0

However, I stumbled upon something rather interesting; if I run the command "net time \\dc /set /y" I am able to connect to all shares on all machines. However, if I logged off and logged back in, this same trick would not work until I reboot.

Can anyone tell me what could be happening here? When I run the time net time command, the time is hardly out of sync - maybe by just 5-10 seconds!!!

I've got to admit that this one has stumped me totally!

Cheers,
    tkb.

Re: Time Sync and Network Browsing

What error message do you get?
    Did you check the Event Viewer? Any relevant messages there?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Sorry, forgot to include that titbit of information.

The complete error message is as follows:

/*
      Domain is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.
      */

Odd thing is that I can access the only domain controller in the organisation via \\DC in Windows explorer. It does not matter how I log in; whether as normal user, power user, local admin or even domain admin!!!

And no, there are no errors in the event log whatsoever!

When the problem arises, if I visit the Entire Network, I only see "Microsoft Windows Network". The other two - "Microsoft Terminal Services" and "Web Client Network" are not listed. However, like clock work, when I run "net time" to sync time, they re-appear immediately once I close and re-open Windows explorer and visit the Entire Network!

Also, while all this is happening, I can view this computer from other computers on the network without problems. This is the only computer on a different subnet from the rest of the Windows XP machines. However, it has been running without a hitch for the last 7 months without a hitch until now. It get's its ip address via DHCP and nothing on the server has changed!!!

Any help to fix this would be gladly welcomed as I'm totally buffled by this one!

Cheers,
      tkb.
      Last edited by tkb2766; 13th March 2007, 22:41.

Comment

Have you tried disjoining from the domain and rejoining?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Interesting you mention that as I've just come back from doing exactly that. I even removed the computer account from the domain then shutdown for ~10 minutes. Restarted, joined the domain, and moved the computer account back to the container where all other PC's are.

And, after all this, the problem persists!!! Net time still cures it but only for a short period!

Any more ideas?

Cheers,
          tkb.

Comment

Did you apply the DST patch for the time zone change? I have had a few computers where the patch did not take the first time. After an hour the time would be off by an hour on the workstation. If the startup script does not have a net time \\domaincontroller /set /y command, the user can not log on because the time is out too much between the workstation and the DC.
            Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

rob beat me to the punch, eheh. Run the DST update (and any updates approved by your network admin that are not yet installed), and reboot.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

DST patch has already been pushed out to the clients and time on the client machine is not varying by an amount I can see! I am the systems administrator here and I do push the critical updates the Friday following patch Tuesday!

I finally bit the bullet and did a system restore to just before the last patch Tuesday, but the problem is still with me. I'm now thinking it might be a probable hardware problem (the switch this machine connects to). I plan on swapping the switch out this evening (Aussie time) and hopefully that might resolve the problem! I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
                tkb.

Comment

I don't know what to say other than I have had to go back to some machines and run the DST patch a second time. You have nothing to lose by trying. XP will throw an error if you try to install it and it has already been installed.
                  Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Well, can y'all imagine it was a faulty switch??? After replacing the switch, all is now well!!!

The network this sole XP box is in is a test network where it is the only Windows machine in a sea of Linux boxes. All the Linux boxes did not report any issue, so it must have been a single port failure on the switch. Imagine such a port problem when all machines are on the same network - one would have to think outside (way, way outside) the box to even think of hardware issues, especially since it worked for a while after time was synchronized!!!

I'll keep this faulty switch for experimenting with whenever the time avails itself. I'd like to run a packet capture to see exactly what was being corrupted by the switch and then what syncing time had to do with it. Just weird if you ask me!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Cheers
                    tkb.

Comment

tkb2766, thanks for posting back and letting everyone know how you solved the issue.

Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                      X