Unwanted shortcuts are automatically created

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted shortcuts are automatically created

Here's a strange one: In a school that I support, they put a USB memory stick into the USB port of an XP Pro computer which finds it as the F: drive and then the teacher will double click on F:\Lesson1.doc. Word 2003 loads, and the problem is that a shortcut to that document will appear on the F: drive.

Also, if the teacher navigates to a folder, a shortcut to that folder will appear. All the teacher has to do is launch stuff or navigate by double clicking, and a shortcut to that will appear.

Then, to make matters worse, after he has deleted all these unwanted shortcuts, gone home, and started the PC up again the next morning, he will launch Word which will then complain "Missing shortcut..." again and again and again until eventually he has clicked "Close" or "Cancel" on all those errors and then Word loads.

Same thing happens with Excel too, so it's not just Word. Same thing happens for other teachers too.

This is a new-ish (2 months old) XP Pro PC logging onto a new-ish Server 2003 Standard domain. I don't even know where to start trying to find a fix. Thanks.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Unwanted shortcuts are automatically created

Hi, Paul.
    Does it happen always with the same USB pen?
    I encountered for the first time two weeks ago something called U3 USB pen, that allows one to carry his applications on the USB pen, along with the work files.
    Does your USB pen has something like this on it? Can you be certain there's nothing "fishy" on the pen itself?
    Does this happen to any user logged in to the same computer? Have you tried a local user, instead to a domain user (just to rule out a funny setting in some GPO)?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi Sorin,

Those are indeed wise suggestions and I will start tracing the fault by asking the client these points. When I saw it hapening my brain just froze up so I'm glad you've given me something to look at. Trouble is, they're 40 miles away, so progress on this one will be slow.

Many thanks for the pointers, Sorin, and I'll post back in a long while ....zzzzz.....!

Have a good weekend.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

Cool, my friend. We're here...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Hi Sorin,

We found the problem - the USB drive was appearing in Windows as a network drive. Offline files was trying to synchronize the network drive, and somehow this was creating those shortcuts. We changed the drive letter of the USB stick to another letter, and verified that it's previous letter, (F: ) was not being mapped.

All's well that ends well, my friend.

Thanks.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

That's good news, my friend !!
            I was going to ask you if, by any chance, you are using offline files

I'm glad you sorted it out...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X