Remote PC's VIDEO Resolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote PC's VIDEO Resolution

How you can check a remote PC's video resolution in Win XP without logging on to to that machine?

Thanks

Re: Remote PC's VIDEO Resolution

Before my answer, a little question: if this is an XP question, why is it in the Servers' forum? Please read and follow the forum rules. I would let the moderators decide if to move it to the XP forum.
    The screen resolution is written in the Registry (among many other places) under the key: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\VIDEO\[DeviceID]\0000, in two values: DefaultSettings.XResolution and DefaultSettings.YResolution .
    You can try to connect to the registry of the desired computer over the network (by using the Connect Network Registry in Regedit, for instance - there are additional ways too) or try to read this value through a script. I don't know enough scripting to assist in you in that, so you'll have to find the solution alone.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Is there any command line option or other way without logging on to user's machine. How I can connect to the registry of a remote machine?

Thanks

Comment

Open Regedit, go to File -> Connect Network Registry (look at the attached screenshot).
        I don't recall by heart what conditions you must apply to be able to do that (about firewall, credentials and such). I do remember that the Remote Registry service must be running.
        Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:29.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I'll try this, Thanks a lot

Comment

Cool.
            And don't forget to keep the forum posted.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Is there any other solution? I do not have rights to get to the remote machine's registry. The only 2 registry entries I see upon connecting to their registry are HKLM and HK_Users.

Comment

You can find the same setting in the HKLM hive too:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardwa re Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ VIDEO\[DeviceID]\0000
                BTW, are you aware of the fact that HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG is a subtree (portion) of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X