Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup/restore pppoe/cable-dsl acount info

helo.
    i want to format the computer having an xp pro on it, but i dont want to loose my internet connection settings and details , such as the userame and password.
    is there a utilty that i can backup restore my isp connection details, and after formating restore them ?
    there are two ways i am thinking of doing this.
    the first one, i have no idea were is this information is saved, wether in the registry somewere or inside a file, this way i can copy the files and backup/restore it my self.

any information is apriciated , thanks for your time

shai

Re: backup/restore pppoe/cable-dsl acount info

Are you sure that information is on your PC? With most (all) DSL connections I've seen, the username and password is stored on the modem which also does the authentication for the line.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

JeremyW's answer is certainly correct, and if you have a modem built into your router, which a lot of them are nowadays, the router itself will often have a configuration "backup/restore" menu option.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

In setups in which the modem does not have a router option (cannot act as a router), one needs to define a dial-up connection through Network Connections -> Create a new network connection and using the option shown bellow.
        I did not use a dialer in a long time, but I know few of my friends that are still dependent of those. If I remember right, this data is written is the Registry, but I have to dig to see where.
        As Terminator used to say: "I'll be back!"
        Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:29.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Perhaps Shai can tell us what setup he has? We're offering many solutions for many setups. Aren't we kind people?
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
            Aren't we kind people?
            Neeeeeah, you're probably talking about another forum
            According to what Shai said, he has a dial-up connection on his computer, and he wants/needs to reinstall his XP Pro.
            To make his life easier, he wants his connection configuration backed-up, to be able to restore it after the install and save himself some trouble. I can understand this, I had this thought too some years ago, when I still worked with a dialer (that was before I got myself a router ).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              According to what Shai said, ..
              Ya got me there boss!

I've got to write out 100 times - I must read the OP's post more thoroughly. Maybe I'll script it...
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                According to what Shai said, he has a dial-up connection on his computer, and he wants/needs to reinstall his XP Pro.
                Am I not seeing something?
                I don't see dial-up mentioned anywhere and the title of the thread is backup/restore pppoe/cable-dsl acount info
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

thank you all for the nice dialog , i like the humor , how ever , you could just say "no" there is no utility that u know that does that.
                  actually , i need such a solution for multiply computers , as a i fix many types of PC with different configuration.
                  they all have different settings and mostly there modem is not configured as a router.

thank you

Comment

I am glad you like the humor. And we are trying to find an answer.
                    For this to happen, it would be nice to know what exactly you need: is it a way to backup and restore the dialer settings for DSL/Cable connections? As you can see from our hilarious (?) dialog so far, we don't fully understand what you need.
                    Even if you did give up, the next generation might be interested in the answer...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X