No announcement yet.

Recovery of Security settings

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery of Security settings

Hi All ,

We are using Win XP Prof. Now if by mistake i remove local user and even administrator from its security access now when i am click to open it it says "Access denied " i can browse the data from windows explorer but i can not create a new file or folder in c:\ drive..and not if i am right click on the drive does not shows me even a security tab so now how can i recover the security settings...

Here i am attaching screen shots also....for reference...

Attached Files

Re: Recovery of Security settings

Please clarify.

Are we takling about Removing the User/Administrator Account from User Accounts, or are you talking about user permissons in folders?
    If its the latter at what level (normal folder or root level)
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

To change the security permissions you'll need to turn off Simple File Sharing
      See this KB for a how-to (scroll down and play the video)

To see what your default permissions for the root were you can look at the setup security template.
      To do that:
      • Start -> Run -> type mmc -> press ctrl + m -> click Add... -> scroll down and select Security Templates -> click Add -> click Close -> click OK
      • Expand Security Templates\path to templates\setup security and select File System
      • In the right pane find C:\ (or whatever your root drive letter is) or %systemdrive%, double-click it and then click on Edit Security...
      • Make a note of the settings and duplicate it on your drive.

HTH... or maybe I totally misunderstood your question

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Double post.

What was wrong with this one???

That was on server... Probably someone wanted to see if it can be done on XP too?

Apologies in front, couldn't help it...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.