Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Windows Error Reporting

Hi All,

Recently I've been getting these Windows Error messages that tell me an Error Report has been saved -- always a .dmp and .exl file -- after Windows recovers from a "serious error." It always happens just after booting up and has been accompanied by other strange behavior such as random rebooting (rare) and infrequent boot failures (screen stays blank and no initial start-up "beep").

This serious error occurred this morning and so I set out to find out just what could be possibly causing all of this. I googled and was led here! This looks like a place with a lot of knowledgable people so I thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction here?

I understand I might need a program to read the .dmp file, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make much sense of it.

So I was wondering, in this situation, what would a person with a moderate degree of computer knowledge -- not enough obviously to figure this out by myself -- do to solve this problem?

Who would you go to?

edit: forgot to mention this is on a Win XP system...
    Last edited by 00010001; 26th February 2007, 19:14. Reason: forgot to mention OS

Re: Using Windows Error Reporting

Path and name for the DMP and EXL? Not familiar w/ EXL. That'll help us tell what kind of dump it was.

Any recent changes to HW / SW -- especially memory?

If you have the time for an overnight outage (you didn't state your OS -- just caught the edit that it's WXP), download memtest86 and run it (bootable UNIX-based floppy) -- just in case memory is flaky.

Otherwise, any more info on what you were doing at the time? Event log entires?

If you need to analyze the DMP file, there are free tools available that make it somewhat less painful than a root canal at the dentist.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hi rvalstar,

My mistake, .EXL file is actually a .XML document. Both .XML and .DMP were reported as being located in C:/Documents and Settings/user/Local Settings/Temp/WERa4aa.dir00/. Strangely the .DMP files are actually located in C:/Windows/Minidump and the .XMl files are nowhere to be found.

I've had this computer for a little over a year now and have made no changes to hardware and no recent software changes, except that currently I have no antivirus software, which I'm going to get ASAP this week.

I'll definitely get memtest86 tonight and give it go. Although I don't have a floppy drive on this machine, maybe there is a CD version? If not I can always just transfer one from another computer.

Browsing through the System Event Log I found that 4 errors occured this morning at the approximate time of error:

1. DCOM failed due to "either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." System Log also detailed that "attempting to start the service IISADMIN with arguments "" in order to run the server:
      {A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750}"

2. PfModNT failed to start because "The system cannot find the specified file."

3. SMTP apparently failed to start because "service depends on the IIS Admin service which failed to start because of the following error:
      The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

and lastly

4. WWWPublishing service failed to start for the same dependency reason (IIS Admin) that SMTP failed.

Whew, that was a lot. DCOM, I'm not quite sure what that is and I'll have to look it up; same with PfModNT. I know SMTP is pretty critical to networking, I think? All networking capabilities are intact though. So not too sure there either.

All of those errors occured basically right when the main error message came this morning, so this has to lead somewhere in the right direction

I'm going to look up some of those things which I'm not too familiar with and see what's going on there. Does any of that jump out at you as a critical problem?

Reviewing my post here, it looks like all this may have been a consequence of IIS Admin failing to start? I'm not quite sure what that is either but I'm going to have a google at it.

Comment

Minidump helps if we need to actually analyze the DMP file.

There is a bootable CD available for $ on the memtest86 site.

If you're Dutch (I resemble that remark), there appear to be a number of free ways to do this:

Here's one that may work:

http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

EDIT: Also marking those services as Manual and stopping / rebooting help. PfModNT appears to be a Creative (the SoundBlaster folks driver).
        Last edited by rvalstar; 26th February 2007, 20:57.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
        X