Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I join a domain that does not exist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I join a domain that does not exist?

I have been sent a laptop by a customer 250 miles away (they have no VPN) and I have formatted it and reinstalled XP Pro from scratch. When I send it back to them, they will expect it to "just work". There is already a computer account on their SBS2003R2 server in the default "Computers" OU. I named the laptop with the same computer name as it used to have.

How can I setup the laptop here at my workshop with the correct login-to-the-domain settings? I can't go through the normal "join computer to the domain" procedure because on my LAN their domain does not exist. On the laptop's XP login screen they will expect to see username, password and drop down list with the domain already in it.

There is another scenario to clarify this odd request: I have to setup 40 Pcs before they go onsite. I can clone one of them 39 times, but I need to setup that first one as if it was already joined to the domain. I can easily create computer accounts for them in readiness on thier server (which is already deployed), but when those 40 PCs are delivered to site, they will need to already be presenting the domain logon dialog.

Thank you.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Can I join a domain that does not exist?

AFAIK the laptop will not work on the domain cause A) it isn't aware of the domain (it has not been joined) and B) the computer account will hold a different SID to the newly formatted machine. It will need to be joined - the old account may need deleting first but im fairly sure it will be ok.

The best option (in both cases) would be to look at using sysprep. This way the people 'plugging them in' will only need to go through a simple wizard to join them to the domain. You can also set machine name etc... to ensure uniqueness.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

OK thanks for that - I'll be reading up on sysprep.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

To solve the laptop's problem, its AD account should be reseted. Then, when you add the new laptop to the domain, it will adhere to the existing account, but with the new SID.
        I still don't know what's the best way to add a computer to a domain on its first startup... I'm looking for it...

Added: Is there a Scripting God around or what? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=3527 A lot of scripting samples, take a look.
        Last edited by sorinso; 26th February 2007, 14:43.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Two points to ponder:

The domain must be present and contactable in order to "Join" it.

Don't EVER, under ANY circumstances, ghost or otherwise image a machine which is joined to a domain, with a view to changing it's name before deployment. Here be Dragons my friend.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thank you very much, Gentlemen and good Vulcans for that clarity - I had kindof thought that therein lie dragons, but if there be dragon slayers in these parts, they all be living in this Petri forum.

One thing I did also learn (from this forum) was that I don't have to reveal to the laptop user the Domain Administrator credentials - if its fewer than 10 times, he can present his own user login credentials to join his laptop to domain. This is useful from a security point of view.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

How 'bout a script? I thinks Sorin was suggesting the same.
              http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa392154.aspx

If that's what you're looking for then maybe a move to the scripting forum?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Well, it wasn't a script I was looking for at first. Or so I thought. What I thought was that instead of the client opening his laptop and it "just working", I have to print out a simple step-by-step sheet that tells him how to join the domain, and put that inside his laptop.

However, a script could make that a bit more automatic for him, so thanks for that. Also, it may well help in regard to the 40 PC scenario, because I take heed of Stonelaughter too.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

If you know little about scripting then i would advise against it for this situation. You would need to put in so much error checking and validation to cope with issues like what if the user hasn't put the network cable in, wrong username and password etc... Sysprep takes care of all that and is much more elegant than a script. Plus it is very easy to use for ghosting/imaging enviroments.

How much better would a nice Microsoft programmed wizard look for a novice user over a vb script? Plus sysprep will run before the laptop can even be used - i.e. runs at first switch on.
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It's not that I know so little about scripting - I'm a happy scripter though not as clever as some of the good folk on this forum - it's just that I hadn't thought of it as a useful tool in this context.

Sysprep is what I need, I reckon, and I am mighty glad for all the hints I've been given.
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
                      If you know little about scripting then i would advise against it for this situation. You would need to put in so much error checking and validation to cope with issues like what if the user hasn't put the network cable in, wrong username and password etc... Sysprep takes care of all that and is much more elegant than a script. Plus it is very easy to use for ghosting/imaging enviroments.

How much better would a nice Microsoft programmed wizard look for a novice user over a vb script? Plus sysprep will run before the laptop can even be used - i.e. runs at first switch on.
                      You know infinitely more in the scripting department than I do.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The second line in the original post mentions SBS 2003 R2. Why not join it the correct (SBS) way. UTFW.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thread trimmed and started a spin-off thread
                          See http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=13867 for the continuation of the spin-off.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            The second line in the original post mentions SBS 2003 R2. Why not join it the correct (SBS) way. UTFW.
                            Normally I'd love to UTFW, but to answer you correctly, it's because I want to join the laptop to the domain without being on their LAN, that's why. The reason being I want to join the domain without going through the wizard, because the wizard will fail in these scenarios. And the reason for that is that I want to ship the laptop back to the customer already configured so he doesn't have to do anything. Hope this clarifies why I am asking about not using the fwizard ! As all the kind respondents have led me to believe - it just can't be cooked any other way, you gotta join the domain while it exists: by script, by wizard, by hook or by crook, the domain just has to be there to join it. Because of SIDs.
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                            X