Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what files have been copied

Hello,

Can you please tell me if you know a tool whic will tell what files have been copied ( from network - Windows 2003 or from local station - Windows XP) to a flash USB ?

Thank you!

Re: what files have been copied

Do you have the USB flash drive and want to compare the two?
    Or do you want to know if files in general have been copied off your network?
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post

Or do you want to know if files in general have been copied off your network?
      Yes, I would like to know what files are copied from network to USB flash.

Comment

Unless you have auditing enabled (by default it is not) there is no way to see what files where copied.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Unless you have auditing enabled
          Given the fact that the OP wants both from network (Windows 2003 Server) and from the local station, that will be a lot of auditing...
          I am asking myself if there's a way to get a notice when someone connects a USB pen...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            I am asking myself if there's a way to get a notice when someone connects a USB pen...
            There are third party utils
            or you can disable all USB ports
            or you can use XP SP2 and make them read only

but if there is some way to get a notification that would be cool

maybe a script that continually scans all hardware, when it encounters a USB device raises a flag....I am not a scripting guy.....

Comment

Thank you for your help!

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Given the fact that the OP wants both from network (Windows 2003 Server) and from the local station, that will be a lot of auditing...
              I tried ( on server ) to use audit but I did't find any option for "copying files" ( from server to station), only :
              - Full control
              - Traverse folder
              - List folder
              - Read Attributes
              - Read Exetended Atributes
              - Create Files
              ... and so on

Also I don't know how to use audit on WindowsXP machine, to see if the files are copied on USB pens on not.

Auditing will cover this scenario:
              " A file from network is opened or editing. Using the 'Save As..." command the users make a copy of this file on his computer ( or right to USB memory)?"

There are third party utils
              or you can disable all USB ports
              or you can use XP SP2 and make them read only
              For the time disabling the USB ports is not wanted, unless there is a proof that data is taken out of company.

Comment

For this you would need to use a third party tool i'm afraid.

Something like Securewave Device Control would work.

Comment

Working...
                X