No announcement yet.

remove dual boot linux files

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove dual boot linux files

I am looking at a PC that has dual boot with win xp pro and linux. The linux installation doesnt have a separate drive number but resides on the c drive in a separate partition. I have deleted the linux partitions under disk management. Has this removed the files or should I still be able to delete them. I cannot find them on C drive at all or wont windows detect these. I have read that the files may still be on the drive even though the partitions have been deleted. I have gone into startup and recovery to remove the dual boot option at startup.
    Any Advice please

Re: remove dual boot linux files

I didn't quite understand your question. You need to recover the deleted partitions? Or want to be certain the partitions are gone forever?
    BTW, did you use one of Linux's boot loaders? Did you neutralize it before you deleted the partitions?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Note C is a partition and not a drive in the physical sense.

Reading well between the lines:

In disk management I take it you have Disk 0 with a partition mapped to C: and the space available from the deleted partition that held LINUX (was shown in Windows as an Unknown Partition before deleting). Any other partitions out there?

So the C: partition is marked as (System) and no other partitions are marked as (Active).

When you boot, you get to choose between Windows and LINUX still even though the LINUX partition is deleted. If you select LINUX, the computer should hang, correct? Assuming you are dual booting using NTLDR (vs. Grub or BootMagic or ???), there is a file named boot.ini on the C: drive. It may be hidden and you may choose to unhide and edit it directly in Notepad, etc. OR you can go here:

Start\Settings\Control Panel\System\Advanced tab\Startup and Recovery\click Settings\System startup\click Edit
      This will launch boot.ini in Notepad. Underneath [operating systems], delete the line for LINUX. Make sure "default=" in [boot loader] matches the left side of the "=" for the desired default of whatever remains in the [operating systems] list

I made a lot of assumptions here so please post back with the actual configuration and we'll adjust the process.

Oh and deleting the partition did not physically delete the LINUX files but it would be tough to get them back. As Sorin stated, that bit of your post was not clear.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Thanks Rick and Sorin,

I had the two partitions,1 with ntfs and the other unknown partition(linux). I deleted the unknown partition. SInce my post I have reformatted this partition(which I assume would remove any files in it and renamed it as a spare drive which now shows up in explorer).
        I booted into recovery mode and ran the fixmbr from the prompt. Now the sytem boots directly into windows and the space taken up from the linux partiton is available storage space.
        I did look at the boot.ini and it didnt show anything from linux in it. It all appears to have worked out though.

It wasnt my PC so not sure about the boot loader thing.

thanks again for your help.

I'm glad you sorted it out.
          If there wasn't anything in the BOOT.INI, it means that there was a Linux boot-loader present. So running fixmbr was the right step.
          The only thing I want to suggest you is that doing some research prior of doing something can save later headaches. A simple search:

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.