No announcement yet.

Repair Install after Service Pack

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Install after Service Pack

OK... I've always been kinda UNSURE.

When you have got a goosed Windows XP/2000/2003 installation and you need to do a repair, it looks at it's file list and says "Hey, that's not one of my original files, I'll replace it!". Where does it hold the LIST?

i.e. if I have installed Windows XP, then installed SP1, and then SP2, and also a whole buncha hotfixes, how's it to know? Will a repair install overwrite these new files (legitimately there) with files from the original disk? Or is it a bit cleverer than that?

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Repair Install after Service Pack

From everything I understand regarding a "repair install", you will need to patch forward from whatever point the OS CD was created / slipstreamed.

Last WXP Pro I did was almost a year ago when I upgraded my hardware. I did do a W2K Pro a month ago and afterwards I applied the latest SP. Past that, Microsoft Update / Windows update seemed to know to patch a ton of stuff. A "repair install" does not ask you regarding overwriting newer files. EDIT: I believe the "list" in any install is comparing the timestamp on the "to be" installation file vs. the "currently" installed one.

Per my defacto instructions:

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates isssued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.
    Since he's an MVP, it must be correct, no?

Best of luck and, as you are well aware, back it up first.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 4th February 2007, 22:06.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.