Installing Windows XP Pro Sp2 on a (new) second Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows XP Pro Sp2 on a (new) second Hard Drive

My original Hard drive is an 8 Gb drive which already has Windows 2000 Pro Sp2 on it. I want to install a new second 20.6 MaxtorGB Hard Drive (IDE) on my machine. I want to put Windows XP SP 2 on the new drive. Is this possible and how can I go about doing it so that I can keep everything as it is on my original 8 Gb drive, and be able to use my new drive also?
    Thanks for your help.
    BigBresh

Re: Installing Windows XP Pro Sp2 on a (new) second Hard Drive

Do you mean dual boot?
    Will you remain with the old 2000Pro for a long time? If not, will be better to move the old disk to Secondary Master, to put the new one on Primary Master, install XP on it and then change the BOOT.INI file to add the old OS.
    But we'll get to this later, I want to be sure first that I understand what you need.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

sorinso,
      The BigBresh thanks you for your reply. He is off on his travels at the mo. Yes the idea is that he will have a dual boot machine. Lets say that we are going to move the contents of the original 8Gb HD to the new one first. Will this complicate things much? In any case how can we accomplish the entire job and finish with a working and stable system with both hard drives running and functioning well.
      Thanks for your reply.
      MicheyB

Comment

Hi.
        From what you are describing, I would go with the following scenario:
        - connect the new HD to Primary Master. Move the old HD to Secondary Master;
        - install a brand new XP on the new HD;
        - at the end of the installation, edit the C:\Boot.INI file to add the old Windows2000 to the boot menu.

This scenario will allow you to have two distinct OSes on two distinct drives.
        Pros:
        - whenever you will want to dump the old OS, the only thing you will have to do is to erase its line from Boot.INI. Then format the disk or dump it.
        - you don't hold two distinct OSes on the same partition (possible, but a messy setup). Making two partitions on the "new" 20GB HD will get you pretty quick to a full HD.
        - no interference with the existing, running OS. Rollback is at you fingertips.
        - pretty straight-forward.
        Cons:
        - never done it, so cannot tell you if there are things to pay attention to them on the road (for instance, how will Windows2000 boot from XP's boot files. I did a lot of 2000-XP dual boots, but not in this scenario). I will test it and let you know (good thing BigBresh is out of town ). Maybe one of the good guys around here will be able to help in this matter.
        - you still remain dependent on the old HD. If it will fail, you'll loose Windows 2000 too. To be able to move this OS then, to the new HD or a newer HD, it will be a little more work.

Related articles:
        XP Dual Boot
        Edit Boot.INI

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

For me, due to my work environment, I deployed triple booting system using XOSL. (XP - 2000 - Server2003)
          They work fine.
          Just another MCP

Comment

sorinso
            Thank You for your reply. This job is still in the pipeline. We will let you know how it works out. Meantime if you have any more information we will be glad to get it.

Just looking at your reply. Would it be best to copy anything useful from the old smaller drive and then just dump it?

Thank you

Comment

First, it's nice you came back with an update.
              Second, will be nicer to post the outcome, so everyone will know if the problem solved and how (for the sake of the next generations, you know).
              Third (at last, your question ): keep the old HD for the time being. If you will be not satisfied by the outcome of the XP installation (drivers' problem, activation problems, old applications compatibility and so on), you can always go back to the good old Win2000 by replacing the HDs.
              You didn't say yet if in the end you will need both OSes, or you will remain only with XP...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X