Dynamic disk on notebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic disk on notebook

I am trying to get as much speed out my notebook as possible.

As I am having 2 internal 7200 RPM hd's, I was trying to convert to dynamic disks. Finally I would like to create a stripeset.

MS does not support dyn disks on a notebook.

However I tried to set HKEY_Localmahine.../IdConfigDB/DockingState to 0. Restart.
    DockingState is reset to 1 again.

Any hints ?

Thanks
    Oskar

Re: Dynamic disk on notebook

Are you sure that MS does not support Dynamic disks on portables?
    Best regards,
    Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

unfortunatly I am pretty sure.

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232463

Comment

Doing a quick search it seems you may be able to get the functionality if you disable your AMP or ACPI (whichever you have) but this would have adverse affects on the OS controlling the hardware.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Before you go and take the dynamic plung (I am not a fan), are these 2 hard drives master and slave on the same IDE channel?

If so, you'll get no performance benefit. IDE writes to one drive at a time per channel. IDE isn't SCSI. Now if the drives are SATA (are laptops providing SATA capabilities?) then I imagine you won't have this issue.

You can tell if you have both drives on the same IDE channel in that laptop as follows:

1) In the post screen (if you can get it to be verbose and your eyes are quick) or the BIOS settings depending on what BIOS you have.

2) Load up some system inventory software like Sandra Lite (free for non-commercial --workgroup only machines) or AIDA32 (free, old, but works on domain machines) and see what they show.

3) Go to "My Computer\right click on Manage\System Tools\Device Manager\IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers\Primary (and then Secondary) IDE Channel\Double click\Advanced Settings". Then look at the "Current Transfer Mode" for both Device 0 (master) and Device 1 (slave) on each channel.

You most probably the 2 drives plus the CD/DVD on IDE. The drives most probably show as "Ultra DMA Mode 5" while the CD/DVD should be as lesser value (2 - 4).

If you have "Ultra DMA Mode 5" listed for both Device 0 and Device 1 then you have both drives on a single channel.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            Before you go and take the dynamic plung (I am not a fan), are these 2 hard drives master and slave on the same IDE channel?
            Thanks for your detailed reply.

One HDs is master on the primary, the other one master on the secondary channel. The DVD drive is slave on the primary channel

Thanks
            Oskar

Comment

Then it should buy you something re: performance.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X