Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Installation Issue after Sysprep

Hi,
    My question concerns the SYSPREP command used in Windows XP.
    Couple of months back my brother bought a copy of the Windows XP Professional [Generic OEM] with SP2. After he installed it he ran sysprep using the command :

sysprep -reseal -mini

Now he is moving to another city so he formatted the HDD and tried to install the corp. version

of XP we were using earlier. However, the corp version won't install and gives errors :

setup could not install drivers for diskdrive

setup could not install drivers for CD-Rom

Please contact your hardware vendor.

But when he tried installing the OEM version again it installed everything just fine.

The XP Corp. CD installs fine on another PC so the CD is not the issue.

He also did a complete format of the c: partition.

Does sysprep modify the BIOS ?

He read somewhere that OEMs use sysprep to pre-activate XP so that the end-user does not have to activate XP.

He had not removed the earlier XP corp installation when he installed the XP OEM and ran sysprep.
    Could that be the problem ?

What needs to be done so that he can re-install XP corp.?

Complete system specs are given below:

1. ASUS CUBX-E mainboard w/Intel P-III 750Mhz + Windows XP Pro with SP2 [Generic OEM]
    2. 256MB PC-133 SDRAM
    3. 80GB Hitachi ATA-100 HDD (connected to onboard Promise ATA-100 controller) [has XP]
    4. 8.4GB Maxtor HDD (connected as secondary master) [NO OS Installed]
    5. LG 52x CDwriter-8572B (connected as secondary slave)
    6. ATI Radeon 7000 64MB AGP card
    7. Yamaha souncard (PCI slot 2; IRQ 10)
    8. Realtek 8139D based Lan card 10/100 (PCI slot 3; IRQ 12)
    9. Pctel modem (PCI slot 4; IRQ 5)
    10. Onboard Promise ATA-100 controller (IRQ 10)
    11. USB enabled (IRQ 5)

PCI slots 1 & 5 are free. No ISA cards used.

Lazzio Scarpa

Re: Windows XP Installation Issue after Sysprep

OEM disks will include all the necessary drivers on their install disks.

Check out this KB to see how to make one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314479/
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy I don't think you understood the issue here.
      The XP Pro OEM CD I am using install all the drivers needed, so there is no need to add or create a custom OEM cd.

My problems started after my brother ran sysprep -reseal -mini command.

My brother made a serious error and i think he has learn't his lesson but I need to revert back to XP VLK as only I can use that (my orgn allows on-campus residents to use vlk).

Now even after a full format of C: partition I am unable to revert back to using my earlier VLK version of XP Pro.

Only the OEM CD installs correctly.
      Also there are no file read errors on the vlk disc.

So my question is : what did sysprep modify in my pc ? (it certainly did something)

Was it the bios or the mbr on hdd?
      would restoring the hdd to factory condition (low-level format) help?

Please advise.

Lazzio Scarpa

Comment

remove all the partitions within the setup (the text based setup). After that, recreate them and format it.
        There is no change made into the bios by using a sysprep installation.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by lazzios View Post
          Jeremy I don't think you understood the issue here.
          The XP Pro OEM CD I am using install all the drivers needed, so there is no need to add or create a custom OEM cd.
          Hmm, it might be that I don't understand what you're asking but I just looked at my post and it's kinda vague (sorry).

What I meant was that OEM disks will have all the drivers necessary for the install. VKL media will only have the default drivers that Microsoft includes (current as of the publish date of the media). So the link I gave was intended to guide you in making a custom setup that will include the missing drivers you need.

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          remove all the partitions within the setup (the text based setup). After that, recreate them and format it.
          It seems that might have already been done. Lazzios, can you confirm?
          Now he is moving to another city so he formatted the HDD and...
          Who originally installed the VKL media? Your school?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
            well, I did consider removing all the partitions and restoring the drives to their "factory state" but considering that it would involve backing up all my data (20 GB approx.) and since I am into research I decided not to do it and wait for your response.
            No my orgn. does not install vlk but only provides the CD, and if one wants the instructions on installation.

Anyway there's is one progress : I tried the "upgrade install" with vlkafter booting into windows and guess what it went ahead smoothly. No Errors.

So I think dumber's suggestion of removing partitions, re-partition and re-format will most likely work but will have to wait until next re-installation of xp.

P.S : while trawling the net on sysprep i found out that this command can cause quite a few problems in the hands of a novice and that it creates SIDs when run.
            What exactly are these SIDs and how can I get rid of them.
            There is program "newSID gen". supposedly generates a new SID after sysprep or if one wants to change the one created by sysprep.
            Anybody ever tried it ?

Lazzios

Comment

this command can cause quite a few problems in the hands of a novice
              That's exactly what I wanted to tell you about the newsid generator. I think the best thing will be for you to read about SID. And see some of the external links too. Please, before you do anything else.
              If you will still have questions after your reading, we will be happy to assist.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Ok, easy way. Backup your data (which should be backed up anyway) trash the drive and reinstall your VLK version. Install appropriate software then restore your important data.

Also, if your data is really important to your studies, I would suggest having in backed up to a minimum of 3 (THREE) different locations and leave one copy with a friend you can trust.

I work in the education system and after 8 years of telling, pleading and begging the staff members (university educated teachers) to backup, I now laugh when they come to me in tears asking me to restore the only files they have of the project they have been working on for several months. These important files have been saved on the floppy disk they have been using for several years. They would only save them to a floppy and never to their home folder on the server where Shadow Copy could have been their saviour.

So, backup your files to CD, DVD, external hard drive, a separate partition on your local PCs HDD or anywhere else you can think of.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Biggles and thanks to Sorinso too.

Well yes I do back-up my data often (on CDs and web) but its nearly impossible to backup everything. I would prefer deleting all partitions and recreating them but there is still a wee bit of doubt. My orgn. IT admin too isn't sure (why is he then the admin ? don't ask me!!)
                  And yes I do plan to read up all on the "newsidgen" program. It seems like a life-saver and who knows if convinced I might use that.
                  But you guys are great. really, I mean it. I am not an expert in computers but have been using them for more than a decade and also built my own PC (though I work in bio-medical sciences) surprised? don't be and I am sure there are millions like me.
                  So I too know a few tips and tricks but mostly I use them to troubleshoot my and my friends computer problems.

Lazzios

Comment

I wanted to ask one more thing. If the SID generated by sysprep is the issue why was I able to "upgrade" my OEM XP installation to VLK by using the VLK XP CD.

The so called upgrade option in XP (as also in previous versions like 98se/ME...)actually re-installs all windows files.

So I still cannot understand why using sysprep on an generic OEM XP installation (my PC is NOT A BRANDED one but self-assembled) should cause this problem.

Branded PCs have modified BIOS which will allow only the OEM CD to run.

But I should not face this issue, as my mobo BIOS is the standard issue by ASUS.

Any answers??

Lazzios

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but you are trying to install on a formatted partition or reinstalling (not repair) on old partition, right? If so, afaik, we're probably barking up the wrong tree. A new SID should be generated when you install Windows and anything that sysprep did to the system should be wiped out (especially if you reformatted the partition).

SID stands for Security Identifier and is used to uniquely identify anything that can be assigned permissions or rights (privileges). Objects that have a SID are users, computers, groups, and special identities.

I wanted to ask one more thing. If the SID generated by sysprep is the issue why was I able to "upgrade" my OEM XP installation to VLK by using the VLK XP CD.

The so called upgrade option in XP (as also in previous versions like 98se/ME...)actually re-installs all windows files.

So I still cannot understand why using sysprep on an generic OEM XP installation (my PC is NOT A BRANDED one but self-assembled) should cause this problem.

Branded PCs have modified BIOS which will allow only the OEM CD to run.

But I should not face this issue, as my mobo BIOS is the standard issue by ASUS.

Any answers??

Lazzios
                      Maybe I should stay out of this thread because I'm getting more confused as we go along.... When did you upgrade from the OEM?

Lazzios, would you mind running through the whole thing again, stating the order in which the events happened.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have seen XP VLKs in 2 flavours. Plain install version (no upgrade ability) and an Upgrade version. Maybe the VLK version your education organisation has is the second option.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hey Jeremy, Biggles and everyone else hang on !!

Well yes you are right about SID. after reading up on SIDs I realized that they are purely OS thing and re-formatting my c: should have been wiped out and the VLK should have worked. BUT IT DIDN'T !!!

Well here's the sequence of events :

1. VLK install of XP Pro has some errors (IE crashes repeatedly) and my brother wants to try out the new OEM XP Pro.

2. Installs OEM XP without wiping out the old vlk one,( you can run two xp on the same partition). Install goes smoothly but I decide not to activate as it may create problems due to the old VLK still on disk.

3. Both versions of XP are running (I am able to boot into both without any issues)

4. My kid brother (idiot didn't tell me) decides to run sysprep. He unpacks sysprep.exe; setupcl.exe; factory.exe and creates sysprep.inf

5. Copies all the four files to c:\winxpoem\system32\sysprep and runs the command sysprep -reseal -mini

6. A window opens telling that this should used only for disk cloning but the stupid fella clicks OK

7. sysprep runs and the PC shutsdown. He re-starts PC and a mini setup runs again and boots up WinXP OEM.

8. Well OEM is up now but later on re-start when I want to boot into VLK it hangs on the welcome message.

9. I sense someting is wrong and call my brother and that's when the whole story of "sysprep" tumbles out.

10. I put in the VLK CD (its a full install cd) and do a quick format of c: (my hdd has 3 partitions and I have formatted only c and let the VLK setup run.

11. Everything seems to be going fine but when the setup restarts and goes into the GUI mode (to install devices) I start getting errors : setup cannot install drivers for diskdrive ; setup cannot install drivers for cdrom.... and many others. Abort setup.

12. Now I know something is really wrong. I do full format of c: and re-run setup from VLK cd, but same errors. Abort setup again.

13. Insert the OEM disk (remember this is a generic OEM CD and my PC too is not Branded) do a quick format and let the setup run. Voila ! it runs fine. No errors and XP is up and running. All hardware properly detected and installed.

14. I then pop in the VLK CD and run setup.exe from the CD. Two options come up : UPGRADE (RECOMMENDED) AND NEW INSTALLATION.

15. I choose upgrade and voila ! it upgrades to vlk smoothly. No errors!!!

So what the hell did sysprep do to my PC ??? I checked the VLK CD on another PC and it runs fine.

Any ideas guys.

Lazzios
                          Last edited by lazzios; 5th February 2007, 17:45.

Comment

So this was a dual boot system. (the plot thickens)
                            A few things.
                            1. How did the VLK media get installed in the first place? (before the OEM disk came into play)

2. You cannot have two Windows installations on the same partition. I suspect it was installed on another partition or on top of the VLK and therefore wiping it out.
                            2. Installs OEM XP without wiping out the old vlk one,( you can run two xp on the same partition). Install goes smoothly but I decide not to activate as it may create problems due to the old VLK still on disk.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                              So this was a dual boot system. (the plot thickens)
                              A few things.
                              1. How did the VLK media get installed in the first place? (before the OEM disk came into play)

2. You cannot have two Windows installations on the same partition. I suspect it was installed on another partition or on top of the VLK and therefore wiping it out.
                              You can't?! I thought as long as they were in different folders it would work fine?!

Tom
                              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                              X