Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

    Hi all,

    I'm stumped. I got roaming profiles setup for about 60 users. They work for about 25 of them but all the others are working on local profiles. I specified clearly in AD UaC to use roaming profiles but when I go to User Profiles' Settings (System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings) the Type and Status are both set to Local instead of Roaming. This makes no sense to me. how does it work for half my users and not the other half. I would have like for it to either work or not work. I hate when it half-works.

    any suggestions??


    My environment is: W2k3 servers, XP SP2 workstations.

  • #2
    Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

    I believe the first thing to do is to check that those who din manage to become a roaming profile. Check again at your Domain Controller that the setting and the path for the profiles are correct. Make sure the users can access to the profile folder.
    Else you may try to manually go to the profile at the XP machine to change it to roaming.

    Hope this will help you.
    Just another MCP

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

      Originally posted by fibox View Post
      I believe the first thing to do is to check that those who din manage to become a roaming profile. Check again at your Domain Controller that the setting and the path for the profiles are correct. Make sure the users can access to the profile folder.
      Else you may try to manually go to the profile at the XP machine to change it to roaming.

      Hope this will help you.
      I did everyone the same. I know that because I selected every user in UaC in AD and added the path with the %username% variable so this is not the problem. I was hoping to avoid going to everyones machine and changing the profile to roaming. Is there a log that I can check or maybe a flow chart on the logon process where it checks for roaming or not?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

        Originally posted by lwnemesis View Post
        I did everyone the same. I know that because I selected every user in UaC in AD and added the path with the %username% variable so this is not the problem. I was hoping to avoid going to everyones machine and changing the profile to roaming. Is there a log that I can check or maybe a flow chart on the logon process where it checks for roaming or not?
        Is it possible that you have their local account set up previously? Before you started deploying AD?
        At your server where your profiles path led to. Did you check if their profiles are there? working or not working?
        Just another MCP

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

          Where are your profile folders located? Did you check the permissions on these folders? Who is the owner of the profile folder? Are you getting errors when users log on? Like fibox stated "local account set up previously" will cause problems. Let me know I think I can help you out.



          I just found my way back to the forums after years so I might be a bit rusty
          Brad Bentley

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

            In addition to the others' questions you may want to check Group Policy Processing with RSoP results wizard or gpresults.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

            Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

              Ok, could not figure out why it was doing it but to fix it you just have to manualy go and change the User Profiles' Settings (System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings) and set the Type from Local to Roaming and it all works like it should. Thanks to everyone for their input

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Weird things going on with Roaming Profiles

                Originally posted by bbentley View Post
                Where are your profile folders located? Did you check the permissions on these folders? Who is the owner of the profile folder? Are you getting errors when users log on? Like fibox stated "local account set up previously" will cause problems. Let me know I think I can help you out.



                I just found my way back to the forums after years so I might be a bit rusty
                Sorry to go lwnemesis, but if you check bbentley's member number, you will see he is an old friend of these Forums.

                Brad, you came back!! Good to see you back again. ) You haven't been on a Govt sponsed "holiday" have you?) Don't stay away so long between posts, ok.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

                Comment

                Working...
                X