X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Logoff the user

Hi Guys,

I have a computer in our Meeting Room.
    The thing is people always use the computer and go away while the computer being LOCKED with the user.
    I want that everyone can enter his username and logoff the logged on username, i put domain users and local administrators but it won't work.
    it says only the logged on user or Administrator can unlock the workstation (windows 2000 sp4)

Thanks,
    Retaliator.
    Last edited by Retaliator; 30th January 2007, 07:50.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Automatic Logoff the user

The simplest way would be to add "Domain Users" to the local administrators group on the PC. This would give users rather more rights on the PC than you may want, though...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, Retaliator.
      Attached is the screenshot of the message I get when trying to unlock the station with a user that is part of the local Administrators group. It should work, but if there are unsaved files left, it will be a mess...
      This mess is nothing compared to making all Domain Users part of the local Administrators group. It is very risky (as Ossian already stated).
      I would:
      - disable the option of Password Protected in the ScreenSaver tab, or
      - make on the Desktop a shortcut of a CMD file that logs off the user and ask everyone to run it when they finish their meeting.
      What do you think?
      Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:08.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        The simplest way would be to add "Domain Users" to the local administrators group on the PC. This would give users rather more rights on the PC than you may want, though...
        I have done this, it just does not work.
        Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Sorinso,

This is a nice option, the CMD part, but it is not what i want
          I will try and figure why not everybody can logoff a logged on user because domain users are part of local administrators group

Retaliator
          Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Hi, dude.
            but it is not what i want
            Thought so, whenever you depend on a user, it's bad. They never do anything, especially on a public station.
            Why not disable the Password Protected option? It will be much safer than making everyone a local Administrator.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Could be, but i guess some managers won't like that as well..
              We'll see, thanks anyway !
              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Just think of it: anyone can do anything on that computer!
                The managers might think otherwise, after the first time they will come to an important meeting and the computer will not work (or not work properly) because someone else did a nasty thing.
                Can you lock the computer by GPO? Do you have a defensive solution, like Magic Card or Radix? Or DeepFreeze?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  Just think of it: anyone can do anything on that computer!
                  The managers might think otherwise, after the first time they will come to an important meeting and the computer will not work (or not work properly) because someone else did a nasty thing.
                  Can you lock the computer by GPO? Do you have a defensive solution, like Magic Card or Radix? Or DeepFreeze?
                  I could force GPO, what setting would help my needs?
                  No Magic Card.. or something like that.
                  Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Anything that will make you confident that the computer will always work: deny installing applications, deny changing certain settings (like network, display...), deny deleting of important files...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                    X