Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program/Application sharing, XP Home

Greetings;
    This is my first post. The SubForum heading says 2WK Pro & XP Pro, but my question is about XP Home. I apologize if I should not have posted an XP Home question here. I didn't see a mention of that in the Forum rules.

I use XP Home with an admin account and a user account. I do my regular work under user account, and use the admin account only for sys maintenance, installations, etc.

I have programs that do not show under the user account. For example, I installed Irfanview (free image viewer) that will not show under the user account. At other times, a program will show, but when I try to launch it, I will get an error message. For example MS Photoeditor (part of Office 2000).

How do I remedy this? Or, is this an XP Home limitation?

TIA

Re: Program/Application sharing, XP Home

Originally posted by Hayem View Post
    Greetings;
    This is my first post. The SubForum heading says 2WK Pro & XP Pro, but my question is about XP Home. I apologize if I should not have posted an XP Home question here. I didn't see a mention of that in the Forum rules.

I use XP Home with an admin account and a user account. I do my regular work under user account, and use the admin account only for sys maintenance, installations, etc.

I have programs that do not show under the user account. For example, I installed Irfanview (free image viewer) that will not show under the user account. At other times, a program will show, but when I try to launch it, I will get an error message. For example MS Photoeditor (part of Office 2000).

How do I remedy this? Or, is this an XP Home limitation?

TIA
    Log in with your "User" account, find the exe file for the IrfanView setup, press and hold SHIFT, right-click the EXE file and select "Run As". Type in the details of the "Admin" user, and click "OK". This should use the Admin account to install IrfanView, but update the User account to be able to use it... **crosses fingers**

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

There are applications that ask you during the installation if to be installed for the current user or for everyone using the computer. It is a good practice, in cases like yours, to choose the second option, that the application should be installed for all users.
      I understand that you install the applications as the administrator?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        **crosses fingers**
        Stonelaughter;
        Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that when I get home. I assume **crosses fingers** means that's not a proven method.

sorinso;
        Yes, I install applications under Admin account. The User Account does not allow me to install any programs.

The problem is most prevelant with older programs or freeware software.

Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

Well, it's a good suggestion - but yes it's unproven as I simply run as admin all the time on my home PC and protect it from attack in other ways. What I'm hoping will happen is that when you "RunAs" from the GUI, the default will be for it NOT to load the Admin's profile. Then, when it installs the App, it will write config information for it into the currently loaded profile; i.e. the User. Don't forget we're probably talking about apps which aren't particularly profile aware like modern ones... so it will likely simply write to wherever's easiest for the programmer. When you installed it LOGGED IN as Admin, it wrote to Admin's profile... let's hope it doesn't do the same this time!

So - unproven but with good thinking behind it...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
          X